Function Older postings not showing on profile page

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by etmb61, Jun 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lately I've been looking for some older posts I've made, and nothing links to my profile before Aug 2017. I can find the older threads I've created by reviewing the forums page by page, but not posts I've made to threads created by others.

Eric

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was able to work my way back to my first post in 2014. I had to click on the "Find Older Messages" at the bottom of the page. I went to the last page after the first retrieval of messages. Then the find older messages link appeared. Clicked that and got another set to go through. Took a while but I got there.

Kurt

3. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tried that.

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you use the search and put in your user name, you ought to get them all, but you may still need to scan down the list of result pages.

XenForo has problems with oldest first kinds of operations. For instance there is no before certain date support in the search function.

5. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Searching by my user name comes up with only 173 posts not older than Aug 2017. I know the posts are still on the board, but for some reason they are no longer associated with my user name.

Eric

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the issue may be that the software defines relevance as a function of time and does not fetch all of the posts because the earlier ones fail the relevance test. The way we use the software that is not good policy, but right now I do not know how to change it.

7. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

The other thing I noticed is, when I post to someone else's thread, a smaller version of my user icon appears beside the original poster's icon. For posts older that 2017 there is no longer an indication that I posted to the threads.

The new software obviously has an index of the newer posts, but the older posts must have been lost in the transition. Everything worked before the system crashed last year.

Is it possible to rebuild the index for the older posts?

Eric

8. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, I just did a complete check of both the messages link in my profile as well as using the full search function. my profile link only showed 185 posts out of my 11,000+, going back to April this year. The search function using no specifications brought up 200, clicking on "find older posts" did nothing.

The search function using the word "Becker" gave a smaller number of results sorted with that word in both the title and text (which I didn't specify). There were 97 posts going back to 2006 that fit that criteria, while I've actually made probably 2,000 having to do with Becker clocks.

It appears when we lost the Sphinx search engine and defaulted to XF, we now have a completely inadequate system to do any in-depth searches for a given maker or other criteria. What is needed to get back the functionality we had?