Old Tower clock from Marburg (and two bits of surplus)

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Burkhard Rasch, Feb 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We spent a weekend in Marburg,an old city in Hessen,Germany.In the museum of Marburg castle we found this nice old tower clock that had been in use in one of the gothic curches of the city for centuries.It´s made from wrought iron and I especialy love it since it has retained both its original escapement and oscilator (missing only the small weights on the foliot arms , but I´m sure they have them somewhere ,and they just don´t exhibit them because they might be stolen...)
    According to the museum the clock was made anonymously in the first half of the 17century.Enjoy!

The surplus has something to do with two of my other fields of interest : music and medicine:
    see a giraffe piano made around 1850 and an anatomical figurine of a woman,careved in ivory in the mid 16-hundreds.
    Best
    Burkhard

DSCN4294.JPG DSCN4295.JPG DSCN4296.JPG DSCN4297.JPG DSCN4298.JPG DSCN4300.JPG DSCN4306.JPG DSCN4302.JPG

2. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Quarter-striking, isn't it?
    Great that they didn't convert it to anchor. A beautiful one, thanks for sharing!:cool:

Aitor

3. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Aitor,thanks for the reply!Interestingly both count wheels count from 1-12:screwball:
    Burkhard

4. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you sure that both count wheels are divided from 1-12? o_O
    It looks to me that the right hand one (on the photo) seems to be divided in equal sections... Notwithstanding, you're the one that has been there and seen the real thing, not me!;)

Aitor

5. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes,I´m sure:Standing in front of the mvmt. the left count wheel has the 12,1 and 2-slot at ca 7 o´clock (pic 3) the right count wheel has the respective intersections at ca 3 o´clock, behind the fly (pic 2). I´ve scratched my head in vain, no idea...
    Burkhard

6. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :cuckoo:Game over for me too, Burkhard.... No doubt that double hour-striking train made full sense for the people who ordered the clock. Good if they could tell us...:=

Aitor