Old Tall Case Clock Dial and Movement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by THTanner, Jan 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a picture of dial very similar to mine and both have something I have not noticed very often in the Roman Numerals. The V is stylized as a right leaning slant / with just a slight angled cut off at the bottom. The X is stylized as a left leaning slant \ with no line at the top or bottom. Was this common during a certain time frame that might help date the dial?

IMG_3941.JPG

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a pretty standard style on 19th century dial clocks, and I suspect they were made by the same range of companies.

THTanner likes this.
  3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    =================
    just documenting -

This is the fly as found - with the tension finger riveted on both fan blades and cracked through in the middle. It pretty much spins with no resistance. Only the pair of rivets is correct.

IMG_3978.JPG

4. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd hazard that was done post manufacture, it's not right, do you have a pic of the reverse side. Coincidentally I've just put a new tensioner on one I'm restoring for a customer, see below, is what they should look like.
    Dsc_0330.jpg

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ==============

definitely after work - what thickness and type of brass did you use for the new finger

IMG_3979.JPG

6. shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's pretty rough!
    Engravers brass CZ120. 0.75mm

THTanner likes this.
  7. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yeah - new fans are available, but pretty pricey - I will flatten this one out - redo the finger and live with the extra pin hole for now

8. shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yep, I wouldn't change it either, always better, despite a hole.

9. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just curious - With the finger made and riveted like this, the fan is going to be unbalanced to some extent. I know they are not supposed to spin very fast, but these are fairly large and heavy fans compared to most. How important is it for a fan like this to be reasonably close to balanced so it does not induce a wobble and vibration as it spins. Since I already have an errant hole in mine, I am thinking of experimenting and adding a bit of riveting in the hole that would balance the fan on the pivots.

10. shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would not worry about that at all. I would tidy up the ugly hole a little and leave it, it will make little or no difference at all.

11. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The "fan" is an air brake which slows the mechanism when chiming
    Sorry if there is a difference between British English and American English here

12. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No difference that I know of - the one on this old clock was a bit mangled by a previous repair - there is just one fan since it is time and strike, but has a rivet hole on one blade that is not supposed to be there. I may get a new one eventually - they are available from a clock parts shop in the UK for about 13 pounds. So I thought I might experiment with balancing this one to reduce wiggle and chatter as it spins.

13. shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There really is no need at all to buy a new fly, again, attempting to balance it will make no difference what so ever. Imagine, how much material would you actually have put put on the other side of the fly to actually balance the tensioner on the other side??
    They nearly all make a noise on these movements. The pivots holes are invariable too big for the fly pivots on these, which also causes noise.

14. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Certainly not a necessary task - my idea for balancing it was to put identical tensioners on opposite sides of each blade, The reason for probably getting a new one is that the holes at each end of this one where the arbor slips through are badly warn which contributes to the wobble. I tried reshaping them a bit but ended up with a far from round hole. The fan works, and the one new tension finger provides good resistance and proper slippage, but this fan has not been treated well previously and I am not sure how to reshape the holes better to make them tighter and still round. I have not given up on it, but am not making the kind of progress I would be happy with.

15. shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The holes on these flies, most of the time are too big, it doesn't matter, as long as the tensioner is doing the job, it is fine. If you try and close those holes up, you will always put them out of round, unless you bush them. You can try and makes the holes round again by pushing a round taper into it gently. They never had a tensioner on both sides, and does'nt need it. Okay I'm done! Good luck! :)

16. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    Although the tower on the dial might be a church tower, those round towers are emblematic of Ireland. They were built from the time of the 9thC to defend against Norse raiders. Many also have later, lower buildings addended for living space. They are considered castles.

THTanner likes this.