Old Seth Thomas carriage clock -steel plates?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Phil G4SPZ, Nov 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Phil G4SPZ

Phil G4SPZ Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Retired Chartered Electrical Engineer
    Bewdley, Worcestershire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A friend gave me this lever-escapement striking carriage clock as a scrapper, but I hate scrapping anything and it looks like a good project for the long winter ahead.

Essentially it needs some bushings and several broken trundles need replacing. However my question is about the plates, which don’t look like brass, more like brass-plated steel. However, the material is non-magnetic.

34276703-A9E1-4FE6-8624-60A741F4A80D.jpeg D6029196-609D-46FE-8B44-D4533CA64515.jpeg

Any ideas, anyone?

Phil

2. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    It maybe aluminum

3. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps tin plated brass. Probably tell more after you get it apart and cleaned up.

RC

4. Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It’s too hard for aluminium, but tin-plated brass is more likely. Thanks for the suggestion, I’d not heard of that. You’re right though, it is absolutely filthy, and some wheels and arbors are badly corroded.

Yet - amazingly - even in this condition, it can be persuaded to go. The obvious fault was a twisted hairspring; I fitted a replacement, and now it ticks away quite happily but stops dead regularly due to a combination of worn and cracked trundles on the EW arbor’s lantern pinion and a bent third wheel arbor. The strike train runs too.

Tough things, these American clocks! I’m told it dates from around 1890.

Phil

5. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Be sure and show us some updated pictures. Wonder what model ST that is?

6. Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It’s all in pieces and in the ultrasonic bath as we speak! Photos of parts to follow. Sadly I didn’t take a picture of the clock before I dismantled it, but here is the case:

883E860E-322D-4ABF-A848-76C476B4E56F.jpeg

Phil

Dave T likes this.
  7. Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, despite scrubbing with hot water and detergent to remove the oil, then half an hour in Horolene solution, rinsing and thoroughly wire brushing, the plates still haven’t come up very well:

91801154-04B2-4459-AE86-2E3E58EA76E3.jpeg 753F2748-126D-490A-A97C-B6A113A129AA.jpeg
    But RC was right, the plates ARE plated brass. The brass colour can be seen inside the threaded holes. Where the plating remains, it is quite shiny, making me think it might be nickel plating. Some chemical treatment over its lifetime must have caused the plating to come away. However, there’s evidence of what I think is “punching-up” around some pivot holes:

C0D420BE-D3ED-44B5-836C-2A903418254C.jpeg 1D7C4993-19F4-43C7-9B4E-F2C6ED77EBFB.jpeg
    One day, perhaps I’ll get to work on a clock that has been well-treated and professionally repaired. One day...

Phil

8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My guess is also nickel plated brass. I have a similar Mauthe carriage clock of the "Joker" style that has nickel plated brass plates. The case is probably also nickel plated.

Uhralt

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a little one! Odd that they would plate the brass when it's not visible in the case. Yeah, it's been punched. Less expensive clocks were not considered worthy of proper repairs in the day.

10. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, the case has glass windows at the sides (at least in my example), so the plates can be seen.

Uhralt

11. Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Revealed in all its glory, the brass back plate after a gentle going-over with a Dremel rotary wire brush, followed by some Autosol metal polish.

I’m not going to attempt to do the same to the front plate, because the plating is still adhering strongly and it won’t be seen anyway.

4B34B8E0-436F-410F-9CE1-BD8365485D60.jpeg

The case is brass, and yes, it does have glass side panels.

Phil

Dave T likes this.
  12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  13. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Obviously plated with something - tin, nickel, silver, chrome? It being visible I would want to at least get it uniform. You might try a bit of silver polish and see what comes up. If the plating is gone in places then the only option would seem to be to remove what is left and polish the underlying brass. Probably not worth the cost and effort to send it to a metal finisher to be replated. I would thing that 0000 steel wool and perhaps Braso and a lot of effort would clean it up, after which you might lacquer.

RC

14. Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmm... last night, having cleaned everything up and inspected the components in detail, I worked out that I will have to fit half a dozen bushings, plus replacing around 30-40 worn-out lantern pinion trundles. I’ll work my way through that lot first, then think about the plating!

This clock is mine, so its value is immaterial and restoring it will provide good practice for me at low risk.

Dave T likes this.
  15. Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I’m slowly making progress with this clock. Having a little extra spare time as all my other activities are on-hold at present, I’d like to restore it as close as possible to original. However, I’m a bit confused about the dial, which is clearly non-original.

All the pictures of Seth Thomas clocks of this “Joker” style show a small seconds hand above the centre arbor. The front end of the third arbor extends outside the front plate by about 3/8”, and the dial pan has a suitable aperture, but the replacement dial hasn’t! It’s also too small. Please see my post #6.

If anyone can please show me a good close-up of a genuine ST dial and seconds hand, I shall be most grateful and I will know what I’m aiming for. Many thanks,

Phil

16. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A big reapir job, but a good learning experience. I have one as well made by Seth. Nice looking clock, and glad its been saved.

Phil G4SPZ likes this.
  17. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Phil G4SPZ likes this.
  18. Altashot

Altashot Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I don’t think this is a Seth Thomas but here’s the dial of one I just repaired. image.jpg

M.

Phil G4SPZ likes this.
  19. Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all! Just what I wanted to see, a dial with subsidiary seconds but without the alarm set hand.

Can I just ask Altashot, as yours does look very like a ST, what is the length of the counterbalanced seconds hand, please? I hope it’s around 11mm, ‘cos I can get these from Cousins in the UK.

Phil

20. Altashot

Altashot Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I didn’t take it out of the case, it has a music box and the timing and meshing was difficult to get right, I don’t want to have to mess with it again. The second hand is approximately, as best as I could measure through the glass, as the drawing below.

image.jpg

M.

Phil G4SPZ likes this.
  21. Phil G4SPZ

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is fantastic, thank you for going to the trouble of sketching it for me. Very kind.