• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

IBM OLD SCHOOL SIMPLEX IBM 110V WALL CLOCK

dave helm

Oct 25, 2018
Country
simplex IBM wall clock 110V .... any adjustment inside to regulate the time, +/- adjustment screw, lever, etc?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The speed adjustment is usually from the motor in electric clocks. In America, we use 60 cycle motors because that's how our electricity is supplied. If the clock comes from another country, it may not use a 60 cycle phase and will be inaccurate. That information is usually printed on the motor. If the motor matches the supply of current, and the clock won't keep time, it's likely because of excessive wear and/or dirt in the movement.

dave helm

Oct 25, 2018
Country
THANKS FOR REPLYING
THE CLOCK DOES HAVE THE ELECTRONIC GUTS, CAPS AND 5823 VACUUM TUBE
AM I WASTING MY TIME WANTING TO USE THE CLOCK INDEPENDENT OF A SLAVE? IT'S JUST TOO COOL TO GET RID OF, THE CONDITION IS AN A- BUT LOSES ABOUT 10 SECONDS A DAY

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I understand. I'm not certain if this clock is actually run by a synchronous motor. If it is, that's as accurate as it'll get. If I can get a moderator to move this inquiry over to electric horology you'll likely get a more coherent response than I can give, but at the very worst you can likely install an AC movement like a Lanshire or whatever.

Edit: I just looked over at the electric horology forum and lo, there's lots of discussion about these clocks. Go have a look.

Mark Kinsler

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Thread moved for better exposure.
Thank you. Did I follow the correct procedure in "reporting" this thread? I worried that it would be assumed that something was offensive, somehow, but I didn't know how else to summon the authorities. (Although I could observe that standing on a ladder trying to figure out how the slave electronics on an IBM clock work is fairly horrible. It was many years ago and I thought I knew what I was doing and bragged about it, which is offensive in itself.)

Mark Kinsler

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Not a problem with reporting a thread that needs moving Mark :thumb:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Slave clocks won't run on their own, so yours is not that type. ;)

caperace

Nov 1, 2006
Country
The only way to set this clock is to remove the glass and move the minute hand clockwise and the hour hand will follow or just wait until it is the correct time and plug it in. A signal generator or transmitter was required to correct this clock along with a master clock. Do you have a master clock ?

Reactions: praezis

fdew

Jul 12, 2007
this type of slave will run just fine without a master. You may want to make sure that the correction mechanism is not misadjusted and dragging on the movement. There is a partial gear called a sector on the correction mechanism that should not touch the movement except during correction.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accuraterubber
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Waltham Watches by Clint Geller