• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

OLD Pocketwatch Identification??...

citylist

Jul 26, 2012
I just acquired this old pocket watch and can find nothing on the Internet about it. Im not familiar with the name if I am reading it right. Any one heard of D. Hanton M. Co? Any help would be appreciated. On the movement is says DROZ, a train on the case back, 21 jewels, heat & cold, 3 adjustments and serial 816527. German, Swiss, USA:???:
Thanks, Steve DSC00403.jpg DSC00404.jpg DSC00405.jpg DSC00407.jpg DSC00408.jpg

onsite

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2011
CehNehDeh
Country
Region
Your watch is what is know as a Swiss Fake.

The case is one that these watches typically came in, a brass case that was very thinly plated with gold when manufactured.

The 20 year warranty was added post manufacture.

The Tornado case is referenced in post #4 HERE

Value is limited but some do collect these watches

Last edited:

citylist

Jul 26, 2012
Wow, thank you for the info guys. I now realize that I have another watch with the same serial and new that, lol...but forgot. Any idea how old?
Thanks again, Steve

onsite

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2011
CehNehDeh
Country
Region
The Swiss Fakes that interest me were made using the name of a railway that existed from about 1905 -1918 and many of them came in that exact case so while the range may be wider those years are good.

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
So, this one is at least a little unusual... although it bears the classic Swiss fake red "21 JEWELS" marking, it appears (to me) to have been fashioned to resemble a Waltham 1872 (which, somebody told me, wiped the floor with most Swiss watches of the time) instead of the customary copying of the Waltham 1877/1883 design.

As a side-note, there is/was a Swiss watch maker "Jacquet-DROZ", maker of everything from "the writer automaton" to 20th century wristwatches. I wonder if they had a finger in this one...

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
There was a lot of deception in the marketing of these watches. I suspect that D. Hanlon Watch Co., in that font, was intended to remind a potential buyer of Dueber Hampden or maybe even Hamilton Watch Co. both genuine respected American watch companies. There not likely to be 21 real jewels in this watch -- deep red "jewels" are not functional and may even be celluloid. The two gears on the top are meant to look like typical American-style winding wheels, but I do not believe that they are even functional on this watch. Screws in the rim of the balance wheel are supposed to give the impression of an adjusted watch, but they probably do no more than help poise the wheel (if even that).

There were many varieties of these deceptive watches and they can make an interesting (and usually cheap) collection. They are usually not worth paying anyone to repair them, but can be fixed if you have the time and skill. I see that yours seems to be missing the hairspring.

David Fitch

New User
Jan 18, 2022
Country
I just acquired this old pocket watch and can find nothing on the Internet about it. Im not familiar with the name if I am reading it right. Any one heard of D. Hanton M. Co? Any help would be appreciated. On the movement is says DROZ, a train on the case back, 21 jewels, heat & cold, 3 adjustments and serial 816527. German, Swiss, USA:???:
Thanks, Steve View attachment 262109 View attachment 262110 View attachment 262111 View attachment 262118 View attachment 262119

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Welcome to the NAWCC Forum

It sounds like a Swiss Fake. Post some photographs.

Rob

David Fitch

New User
Jan 18, 2022
Country
I have a
Interesting. I looked at the photos, I have a watch My Dad gave me. Is almost identical, the only difference is there is E DROZ instead of DROZ on mine. Serial # is also 816527.
the back on mine is engraved with flowers on it, and inside the back it says "gold filled, warranted 20 years. and has the numbers 3441337 (in kind of a "V" shape with the 1 at the bottom of the V.

It belonged to my grandfather, he was a railroad conductor from Crown Point IN. Someone scratched "Crown Point IND" on the case on the rim outside the works, also had the number 3441337 machined on the rim. Serial number could be this number instead of the 816527? Anybody know a watchmaker that might agree to take a look at it? Is probably a "Swiss Fake," worth nothing to anyone but me, as it is the only thing that I have that belonged my grandfather. Sorry this is so long, forgive me, I'm new to this group.

Reactions: Christopher Burris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeszkaGeri91
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-