Old New Haven Works Disassembly

buzmarek

Oct 31, 2006
I am retired clock hobbyist with a small collection of American black mantle clocks that I try to keep running.

I have basic skill to clean, spring replacement and minor repairs but do not claim to have the knowledge as some of you professionals.

I am attempting to replace the main spring on my New Haven open escapement and have a problem I have not been able to figure out.
The attached photos show the strike count wheel to be out side the back plate with a small gear that turns the wheel also outside the plate. In order to seperate the plates to disassemble this small gear has to be removed. Is it threaded, pressed on or soldered? Not enough of shaft exposed for me to tell if threaded. Tried to gently twist off with no luck.
Any advise from you experts on how to remove this small gear will be greatly appreciated. Please help before I mess up.
Thanks,
Buz

Attachments

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi Buz-

This count wheel drive pinion is just pressed on. It isn't necessary to remove it before spreading the plates since the front pivot will come out of the front plate. Once the gears are free, and the rear plate is separate from the front plate, the pinion can be driven off using the plate for support. A tap on the shaft with a flat punch is usually all it takes to drive the shaft out of the pinion.

The hole in the pinion is tapered and it will only go back on one way.

Hope that helps!

buzmarek

Oct 31, 2006
LaBounty,

Thanks for the tip. Sure make sense and I will work on it tonight.
I knew someone with your knowledge.would come to my rescue.
I learn a lot reading most of the threads.
Thanks again.

Buz

aka

Jul 3, 2007
Before dissembling this movement, please make a note of how the strike levers operate, and how they are placed, especially how the strike lever is released, and how it is locked.
This is a bit unusual movement, the other 8 day american movements are quite alike, with lots of info about synch'ing the strike side, but I cant find much info on this. I had a similar problem in setting up the strike side, and finally solved by Dave.

thanks

buzmarek

Oct 31, 2006
Thanks for the photo of the gear puller. I will order this type to have on hand for next project. I usually can reassemble the wheels and other componets but have trouble getting the strike portion to work correctly. Only after trial and error and lost patience I get lucky. The works in the photo appears to be like the one I am working on. If you have any photos or drawings showing the schematics (particularly the strike portion) of my New Haven works I would appreciate them.
Thanks,
Paul

aka

Jul 3, 2007
Search for "New Haven strike problem" in the threads , this would help you , in case you land into similar problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hullah
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller