• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Old Herschede mantel clock

Connie`s Clock Shop

Jun 19, 2018
Country
Does any one know how to set the chimes on this clock ? I can`t get the 15 min after to set . I just starts to correct and stops .

Thank you .

IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2520.JPG IMG_2521.JPG

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Hi Connie, What tune does it play? I'm not really familiar with that movement but on many of these movements, you can loosen the set screw on the back gear and rotate it manually until the first four notes of the song are hammered out if it has a 16 note tune. What about the other quarters and the top of the hour?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your clock is a Hershede. This chimer is more complex than your usual run-of-th-mill chimer. A more exact desription of the problem you're having would be helpful. A video would be even better.
Willie X

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
As Willie pointed out, you have a Herschede movement there. At the top of the hour Chime Correction occurs with the timing set by the position of that top wheel on the back plate.

Here's a video which demonstrates normal operation of the chime, and how chime correction works when the chimes somehow get
"upset".

Phillyclockhoarder

Jun 1, 2019
Country
I'd like to point out that this is a dual chime clock, and you should make sure that the hammers are set for either Westminster or Canterbury, not in between.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
That's a good point Philly,

For setting adjustments like the Chime Correction Mechanism, I personally find it helpful to work with Westminster, just because I'm most familiar with the note progressions. For example, the Chime Correction Lever should begin lifting during the four descending notes heard at 15 minutes past the hour and again as the last four notes played at 45 minutes. At the very beginning of the next note, the Chime Correction Lever should continue to lift slightly before dropping off. As you can see in the video at 1:25 (Front View) and about the 3:03 (Rear View) marks, the Chime Correct Lever holds or locks up the Quarter Rack Hook until the first notes of the full chime sequence just begin to play. At that point, the CC Lever lifts slightly to allow the Quarter Rack Hook to fall onto the Quarter Rack so that the mechanism can begin "counting" measures of the full Melody.

Once I have the timing set, I go back and double-check operation with the Canterbury Melody. With just four notes per measure, Westminster is a little more forgiving of Pin Barrel timing errors than is Canterbury. Adjusting the drive gear on the back plate can introduce errors in the Pin Barrel settings if you're not careful...or even if you are careful. :eek:

If you have more questions, please let us know. If you need help, as Willie mentioned, a video of your movement's operation will be very helpful to us.

Good luck with it.

Regards,

Bruce

Last edited:

Connie`s Clock Shop

Jun 19, 2018
Country
Hi Connie, What tune does it play? I'm not really familiar with that movement but on many of these movements, you can loosen the set screw on the back gear and rotate it manually until the first four notes of the song are hammered out if it has a 16 note tune. What about the other quarters and the top of the hour?
Thanks that how we set most of them . But this has two pins on the back gear . ( odd )

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Thanks that how we set most of them . But this has two pins on the back gear . ( odd )
You're welcome.

I think it has two pins because it makes one full rotation per hour while the pin barrel rotates twice. If you set it so one of the pins is raising the Chime Correction Lever during the four descending notes (15 or 45 past the top of the hour), the Adjustment should be good to go just so long as there's a short lift and drop off on the next note.

Perhaps it's just for convenience because I think that you're right. One pin would suffice. It would just have to be set up at 45 past the hour.

I just so happen to prefer synchronizing the pin barrel to the 15 past the hour mark.

It added slightly to their production costs so I'm sure they had their reasons.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Bruce

Connie`s Clock Shop

Jun 19, 2018
Country
I am in quarantine as I and my wife are at a higher risk . Thanks for your help this clock has got me pulling my hair out . I will try this once I get back to the shop . Stay healthy thanks again !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-