Old grandfather clock that needs to be identified.

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by mountaintimer, Nov 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mountaintimer

mountaintimer Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Humboldt Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Clock front.jpg

This is a grandfather clock that was given to my daughter-in-law by her great aunt.
    I have had a hard time identifying it. Any help with this would be truly appreciated.
    Logo on dial.jpg

We have been unable to read this label which is similar on both the dial & the original wooden movement.
    Dial label .jpg
    This is the label on the dial.

Name on the movement.jpg
    Name on the movement

Ron

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Burkhard Rasch, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    It's old german handwriting,I cannot read but I´ll show to one who probably can. In any case the movement seems to be a black forest wooden movement,please show pics from all sides!
    Burkhard

3. mountaintimer

mountaintimer Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Humboldt Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 mountaintimer, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Thank you Burkhard, I will await further info.
    Here are pics of the movement:
    movement plate & hooks.jpg Left side of original movement.jpg Top of original movement.jpg Original movement rear?.jpg original movement right side.jpg

These aren't great shots, but I hope these are good enough to help you in the identification.
    Ron

movement plate & hooks.jpg Left side of original movement.jpg Top of original movement.jpg Original movement rear?.jpg original movement right side.jpg

4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that´what I thought:30hour black forest mvmt. ca.1880+-10years.It needs a thorough service before put into regular use.Wether it belongs to the case originaly or was installed as a replacement for the old original movement I cannot say.Often the repair of the original mvmts. was beyond the capabilities of a local clocksmith and he then replaced the mvmt. with one readily availiable.The dial is nice,the whole clock deserves preservation!
    Burkhard