Help Old French clock part identification

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
old french clock from 1800's - that's all I know about it. There is a piece that is broken - the little tip that slides in the part that I show in the pictures. Any idea what it's called so I can replace it? Thanks in advance.

jc.jpg jc1.jpg jc3.jpg jc4.jpg jc5.jpg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
What Uhralt is referring to is it appears in your picture that the pivot (or axle) is broken off the gear you show. Pivots are machined into a part as it is made. You can not buy a pivot itself only a replacement part with it machined into it, if the part is available which is not likely on old clocks. What has been suggested is to have the old part repaired by a machinist who will drill a hole in your gear and insert an new hardened wire pivot (which is really just a round steel rod) hope this helps. Joe.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Is this a clock that chimes on the quarter-hours? It appears to have three winding arbors, and one of the parts you show appears to be a four-ramp cam, which would be used on such a clock.

Please take better pictures and post them. Include a picture of the clock dial so it's clear if this clock has three winding arbors. As it stands it's not possible to advise you properly.

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
Is this a clock that chimes on the quarter-hours? It appears to have three winding arbors, and one of the parts you show appears to be a four-ramp cam, which would be used on such a clock.

Please take better pictures and post them. Include a picture of the clock dial so it's clear if this clock has three winding arbors. As it stands it's not possible to advise you properly.

I'll take more pics - it is a 3 winder and it bongs differently then most of them. Kind of hard to explain - it bongs 1 time then what ever the hr is at 15 after, bongs 2 times and whatever the hr is at half hour etc.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I believe you have a grande sonnerie movement. It is often called a “blind mans clock”. It strikes on two gongs every 15 minutes. The two gongs are tuned to different pitches. At 1/4 after the hour it strikes once on one gong followed by the hour count on the other gong. At 1/2 after the hour it strikes twice on one gong followed the hour count on the other gong. It continues in that sequence till the hour when it strikes four times on one gong followed by the new hour count on the other gong.
As Uhralt and Clokwiz said, you will need to repair that broken pivot. This is a very nice movement. Can you show us the case? I suspect it came out of a nice Austrian Vienna regulator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilGoodew
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller