Old Cuckoo Clock. Cuckoo comes out half way during warning

PaulMcG

Mar 22, 2014
I have just repaired and serviced an old count wheel cuckoo clock, dates from around 1900. All works fine except that when the clock goes into warning just before the strike the cuckoo comes out about half way. This is during the final couple of mins. When the actual strike occurs the cuckoo comes out fine and then the door closes fine too. I have looked at all of the associated levers inside that control the bird whilst it starts to move out during warning and nothing seems to work. If I get it so the cuckoo only comes out a small amount during warning then when the strike happens he hardly comes out at all. It is almost as if this is the way it is supposed to be. Is it a compromise with these old clocks between having the door open half way during warning and having a good thrusting bird at strike compared to the other extreme of having no bird at warning and hardly seeing him at strike?

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
You don't happen to have a picture of the movement to post do you? I corrected one, a while back, that was doing the same thing on a clock about the age of yours, but I can't pull the answer out of the old memory bank this morning.
Maybe another cup of coffee will help:D.

Later edit- Maybe the coffee helped. As I recall it turned out to be a problem with the lifting lever being lifted too high by the J-hook on the center shaft. The clock would go into warn, but then the j-hook would lift the lever higher as it approached the hour, and the bird would be sneaking out while it lifted. I adjusted the lifting lever so it's maximum raise was just enough to put the clock in warn, and all was good.

Hope this is your problem.

Last edited:

PaulMcG

Mar 22, 2014
Hi Randi
just had a play with the j hook on the centre shaft. Yes I see what you mean. I am getting closer. The door now opens earlier, then closes for the final 2 mins and then finally strikes. I have a new variable to play with thank you.

ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
once the lever from the hands lifts enough to trigger the warning bump that is the TOP of its travel. (or should be the top) .. Its pushing up farther than that.. if you back it off so at its PEAK its just barely tripping the warning bump, it will not pass the top position and push out the cuckoo.
Would love a peek at the clock... :)

TheSpaceman

New User
Jun 20, 2021
Country
This is the lever that is lifting up too high. a small tweak will sort it

View attachment 228018
Hi all,

I do hope you can help with this exact same problem. My horologist has just done a full overhaul of a large hunter cuckoo clock C1900 by A. Fleig and has this exact same problem of the cuckoo clock doors opening on the warning. The issue though is that it seems to have 1 lever to operate the warning and the strike. Here is what he says in relation to the image and posts in this thread.

"The thing is that the example in the image has a separate warning lever and stop lever whereas your clock has a single lever which does both jobs, so this adjustment cannot be made."

The above is what my clockmaker says. I have an image of the front of my clock (before restoration) which is very very dirty. It's fully cleaned and restored now. He says it's working perfectly except the doors open on the warn too much and as suggested in this thread if he makes adjustments to stop the doors opening on the warn, then when the cuckoo comes out to strike, the doors hardy open at all.

Please can somebody make suggestions.

Thanks, Dominic. (UK member)

Movement FRONT 1.jpg

TheSpaceman

New User
Jun 20, 2021
Country
Hi again,

Here is an image of the back of the clock with restored movement. It seems I can either have the doors open on the warn and then the cuckoo and doors open great when striking or have the doors virtually closed on the warn and then the cuckoo and doors hardly open at the strike.

Does anybody know how to make the adjustments please so that the doors don't open on the warn but open fully on the strike or will I have to live with it as it is.

Thank-you,

Dominic.

Restored Movement.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberbillp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-