Old Cuckoo and Quail with wood plates.

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by simbarn, Apr 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. simbarn

simbarn Registered User

Apr 29, 2010
    Hi, I won this Cuckoo and Quail with a wood plate movement at an auction in Germany recently and would be very grateful to the cuckoo experts on the forum for a possible date (I know dating cuckoo's is not easy!) and maker? No marks anywhere that I can see.
    It looked to be a nice one in the auction photos and when it arrived I was even more happy with it. Everything was there which is always very nice to have. One of the gong hammers is a replacement, but that's it I think.
    Very nice quality wood carving on the case.
    I will take the movement out later for a closer look.
    Thanks guys.

IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1910.jpg IMG_1912.jpg IMG_1913.jpg IMG_1914.jpg IMG_1916.jpg IMG_1917.jpg IMG_1919.jpg

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but it is indeed a very nice looking clock.

Tom

3. simbarn

simbarn Registered User

Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks Tom, I might re-post this in the general forum where it may be seen better by the experts.

4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that looks like a wooden plate movement with iron arbors,metall lantern pinions and brass wheels ,in contrast to the movements with wooden bobbin arbors called "holzgespindelt". I´d put Your clock around 1880+-10y. Pics from the sides-with the Little doors opened-would confirm my guess.
    Burkhard