Old Clocks 1

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bangster, Dec 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4283.JPG IMG_4285.JPG A couple of months ago, a lady saw my clock repair ad, phoned and asked
    if it would be interested in a bunch of old clock stuff her husband left behind
    when He died.

I went and checked it out. Not the sort of thing that's up my alley, but I thought
    I'd give it a look. All very old stuff, five clocks, two or three movements, a mixed
    bag of other stuff (dial plates, weights, assorted junk). I had no idea of its value,
    but gave her $150 for the lot. Not sure what I would do with it, but it looked
    interesting. And I knew that y'all would be able to tell me what I have, if not
    what it's worth (other forum)

So I will be sending pics, one clock at a time, to learn what I can about these
    mystery acquisitions.

Here is the first one:
    =====================
    A squarish, blocky mantel clock perhaps from some art period. Mirrors.No finials. Nice parquet floor on front. Plaster columns, one busted. Two pocket watches I'll have to ask somebody else about. May have silk suspension. I probly need mo better clearer pics. But what can you tell me about it from these?

IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4283.JPG IMG_4285.JPG IMG_4287.JPG IMG_4288.JPG IMG_4289.JPG IMG_4292.JPG

2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    well, the first pic looks like the back side of a morbier. i would guess 1830's from what little i can see. the rest of the pics are what appears to be a french mantle clock with a pendule de paris movement. i can't help you with the pocket watches. i know nothing about those.

brian

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi bangster,

The watches appear to be French or Swiss, wound through the dials, and the right-hand one has a calendar in the centre of the dial and a missing crystal. The cases may be silver, and both watches are probably from the early 19th century.

Regards,

Graham

4. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bangs, what are we looking at in the last two photos? Tools or the back of the wooden thing?

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I am not sure but I think 'squarish, blocky' clock (photo #2) is likely Austrian not French, but would need clearer photos to be sure. The pillars seem to me to be alabaster or some similar substance, not plaster.

This was once quite a clock and could be again. The dial is in quite nice condition and the hands are attractive. Is the pendulum missing? I would suppose about 1850 but others may know more exactly.

The photo is very blurred so it is hard to say more.

JTD

6. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The two pocket watches look like pair case ones minus their outer cases
    I will take a guess that they are verge movements made before 1850
    Are there any Hallmarks on them?
    I would expect to see a European one on the left hand watch and maybe a British one on the other
    This is all guesswork

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 bangster, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    You're looking at shoddy cabinet work in the back of the case. (BTW, the first pic doesn't belong. I'll get to that clock later/)

'll try for some clearer pics.

Y'all don't need to worry about the watches...I'll ask about them over in the watch forum, in due time.

8. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    The mantle clock is Viennese.

Ralph

PatH likes this.
  9. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm finally back on this topic, if only briefly. I've managed to get a better pic of the dial, can't seem to produce a clear shot of the movement.
    Thanks, friends, for the info.

The consensus seems to be that it is Viennese. Anybody care to offer a guess as to a date? Any other useful opinions you can give me?
    I'll be back, in a while, with a different clock from the bunch for you to look at.

bangster

Old clock 1 dial 2.jpg