Old clock shelf.

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Kevin W., Nov 5, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I purchased this shelf and the seller stated he knew where it came from. A local family that had it in their home from the early 1900,s.
    It looks like walnut to me, and has a number stamped on the wood. The seller thought that since it has hinges and folds up maybe Eatons of Canada sold this through their store.
    Does this shelf from what you can see look to be old. 14915582_10154072828917913_898210195274503250_n.jpg

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin, Doesn't look that old, check the type of nails and screws used, the hinges on the shelf look to be not too old. Cute shelf anyway.

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #3 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    I've seen many folding shelves like this before. In a "Black Forest" style, usually thin dark walnut (can be somewhat flimsy, too so no heavy stuff), somewhat crude shallow carving, coiled wire hinges, # stamped on the back which I always assumed to be a model or catalog #.

They're rather common. Produced in great numbers. I think they were made to fold as that facilitated packing large #'s of them in crates for shipping. I don't believe that there is any other significance attributable to that characteristic nor does it suggest an origin.

I suspect they were sold through many retail outlets. I bet you could even order them through your Sears catalog?

Here are a couple of pix of one I own both without and with it's usual occupant:

folding shelf 2.JPG folding shelf 1.JPG

Your shelf looks rather light in color. Harshly refinished or bleached?

I have also seen basically repro's marked "India" which are of a lighter wood and tend to be more ornate.

The carving and hinges for the supports on yours look right.

RM

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Long as i know i have a antique and where it came from i am good, thanks for the comments everyone. The seller stated to me several times who knew the past owners of the shelf.