Old clock. Is it authentic?

lamikam

New User
Jul 27, 2021
Country
I have had this clock sitting in my garage for 25 years. See lot of pics here - . It was my great-aunt's. I got it when she passed away. She had A LOT of really nice artwork, china,. I know it is at least 60 years old and remember playing with it as a child. It is pretty beat-up. I have posted to some forums on reddit (r/clocks) and several people are thinking it a a 19th century from France. I cannot see any manufacturer's name/marking on it. I would like to know if it is authentic from the period, and not some replica, and if so, is it worth getting restored? Thank you!

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
It does indeed look to be 19th century French - and would make quite a decorative item in good order. If it were earlier than 19thC, the detail on the figures would be better, but it is still a nice decorative piece. Restoration to the mechanism will be much more expensive, as roughbarked says, due to the extensive rust, and you might want to have a go at cleaning up the outside of the case before that suffers the same fate. But a nice clock

Reactions: roughbarked

lamikam

New User
Jul 27, 2021
Country
It does indeed look to be 19th century French - and would make quite a decorative item in good order. If it were earlier than 19thC, the detail on the figures would be better, but it is still a nice decorative piece. Restoration to the mechanism will be much more expensive, as roughbarked says, due to the extensive rust, and you might want to have a go at cleaning up the outside of the case before that suffers the same fate. But a nice clock
thanks

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
A bit of surface rust never hurt anyone...but time to clean it up now rather than later.

Reactions: Mr. Time

anilokayn

New User
Jul 28, 2021
Country
It really is quite a shame that somehow the clock seems to have endured a flood at one time and that the subsequent rusting will add to the restoration costs.

Mr. Time

Feb 13, 2017
TEXAS
Country
Region
What a waste.

The total restoration cost will more than likely far exceed what the clock is actually worth, maybe?

Though it's current condition would definitely be a challenge for someone to attempt a total restoration, IMHO.

By the way....what is the name of that style of clock and movement?

Last edited:

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
The rust is not that bad, the click springs should be replaced, however the pivots look okay.

Reactions: DeanT

Ralph B

Nov 25, 2006
Napier, New Zealand
Country
Nothing very complicated here.
I'd happily buy it with a view to restoration if I saw it come up on Ebay.
The killer would probably be the postage cost.....
Ralph.
N.Z.

Reactions: DeanT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehedi94
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-