Old Clock #4

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bangster, Feb 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 bangster, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    This is the next in the series of Old Clocks i got from the nice lady whose husband had died. I'm trying to find out what it is that I hauled home. I'm not after evaluations, but descriptive identifying facts that y'all can provide.

I'd like to get all the information you can give about this unusual wall clock: Style, maker, age, anything else

You'll notice immediately that it has an unusual motif: a nude girl in a daring pose.
    There is what may also be an animal of some kind, as part of the dial ring . There is nothing written anywhere on the clock.The front piece, figurine and dial pan is pressed sheet brass or tooled sheet brass (I'm not sure what to call it. It's decorated with blue and red glass beads. The dial is quite simple, with unadorned numerals. The overall design gives the sense of being some sort of arcane religious symbolism.

The body of the clock --the clock proper--has a wooden frame carrying a brass movement. The movement is a simple 2-train weight driven clock. with a coil gong.
    I would expect it to be a count-wheel. In the left close-up, the gear outside the front plate may be a count wheel. I can't be sure.

The clock has all its parts, and should be made to run. But my interest right now is information rather than restoration.

I will appreciate anything you can tell me.
    GC front 1 copy.jpg GC_back 1.jpg GC_back.jpg GC_left side 1.jpg GC_left side closeup.jpg GC_left side oblique.jpg GC_lleft closeup 2.jpg GC_bottom3.jpg GC front 1 detail.jpg GC_bottom3.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would guess made in India based on the dial and decoration, but I have no idea on the fine wooden movement

3. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a black forest movement. The front is much later from another clock. The movement is missing the hour and minute pipes. The count wheel is on the back of the movement. 30 hour movement.

4. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, I thought it looked like some motion works might be missing. What do we know about Black Forest wooden-frame movements? Does the wooden frame suggest a date?

5. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

Indeed, it is a 30 hour Black Forest movement. I may be wrong, but I believe the dial is original. It appears to be Art Nouveau (Jugendstil in German), which would fit well in terms of the date of the movement, around 1890-1900. Hopefully someone can contribute a second opinion.

Regards.

6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this is a black forest movement of the latest period before they abandoned wooden frames,so IMO 1880-1900 is a good range.Wether original or not I love the face of it, reminds me of films like Metropolis , I´d keep it by all means!Congrats!
    Burkhard

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes you can find incomplete Black Forest clock movements of this kind (Schottenuhr) on ebay. Chances are that you can use the motion work wheels of such a movement with no or minor modifications.

Uhralt

8. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Consensus seems to be that it's not a marriage of new and old, but is originally old. Have I got it right?
    I would like that.:)

9. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

That would be a fair assessment, yes!

Regards.

10. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I may restore this one for myself. Need to learn things about BF movements.

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These are easy to work on. To clean the long brass bushings that are inserted in the wood plates, you don't want to soak the plates in cleaning solution. I use mineral spirits and either interdental brushes or pipe cleaners to clean them. You will be surprised how much gunk has accumulated in them.

Uhralt

12. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any idea where I might find a motion works?

13. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ebay. These movements come up quite frequently. Just make sure that the movement is roughly the same size.

Uhralt

14. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: