Old Clock 2

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bangster, Jan 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may recall that I acquired a bunch of old clocks from a nice lady whose husband had died. Now that I have them, I'd like to know WHAT I have. I asked y'all about one of them in the thread Old Clock 1.

Now I'm seeking info about another one.

Old Clock 2 front.jpg Old Clock 2 front tilted.jpg Old Clock 2 clean mirror.jpg Old Clock 2 back.jpg Old Clock 2 back tilted.jpg Old Clock 2 bottom.jpg

Peculiar old mantel clock. 19" high 9" wide at the belly. Missing finial side and top, some woodworm holing.
    Ball feet on bottom. The decoration around the base appears to be gold painted rather than gilt.

Mirror cleaned up nicely. Case in pretty good shape. Running condition untested at this point.

What can y'all tell me about this little dandy. I'd like to know what I got. Age, nationality, style, any info at all.

Thanks in advance.

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't tell you much, but this clock also seems to be from Austria.

Uhralt

3. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Its a head scratcher for sure.

The French were making clocks mostly out of brass, while in Vienna they were using a lot more wood, so that points to Austria, along with a vague "look and feel". The movement is not a typical pendule Paris, having rack strike work on the back plate, and could be Swiss or Austrian. The plates have a cut out on the base rather than being completely round. On a French movement that would point towards a date in the late 1700s to very early 1800s, but I have no idea on the practices of Austrian makers were. And the movement doesn't look like those being made in Austria much before the 1840s, as those tend to have asymmetrical winding holes and grande sonnerie striking, often with a 30 hour movement.

If I had to guess, I'd say Austrian, mid 19th century, but its a guess

4. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 bangster, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Is it the sort of thing that would be of interest to a collector? I'd like to have some idea of how I might eventually dispose of this motley lot.

-------------
    added later: It has the star wheel to advance the snail, and the blind-man string pull. It's a repeater. Do those mean anything?

5. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Is there any way to silence the movement, or does it strike only when the repeat is pulled? With the repeat, I would see this as a dressing table clock, to be located in a bedroom or dressing room. You get the function of clock with repeat for night time use, a mirror, and a marquetry plinth to place your jewellery on. You could also drape necklaces over the finials. Shame there are no drawers...

As to if its collectable, you'd need the right buyer. It's missing the finial on the side, what may well have been a statue on the top, and the side pillars either side of the mirror, so its a shadow of its former self. But if you tidied it up, and took photos with it set up as a "dressing table" clock, you might get buyers on some of the auction sites.

6. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
  7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alas! The link doesn't work.:(

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Works for me. You still using that old 386?

9. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wot's a 386??