Old American Pocket Watches

Barry1023

New User
Feb 1, 2019
Country
If it is not against the rules, can anyone tell me a good place to sell approximately 200 old american pocket watches?

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
Unless you have the patience to sell them mostly individually online, I think a good auction house would be the best way to go. Maybe offering them on consignment, if your auction house accepts that kind of arrangement, would be the most economical, but I don't know that for sure.

OldSchool1959

Seaboard Coastline RR Fanatic!
NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2018
Rolesville NC
Country
Region
Unless you have the patience to sell them mostly individually online, I think a good auction house would be the best way to go. Maybe offering them on consignment, if your auction house accepts that kind of arrangement, would be the most economical, but I don't know that for sure.
I agree and the problem with Auction Houses are notorious for charging high sales fees, some as high as 27% to the seller. If you get lucky and find one that charges 10% of the hammer price that a good deal. Good luck either way!

Keith R...

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2012
South
Country
Region
I think the answer would depend on condition, originality and any provenance one can
provide with any given watch.

I used to work on weekends for my Uncles Auction business and I learned out to find
the artifacts, setup the contracts, negotiate exclusions, mix the lots, work the bidders.

If they are worth less than $20,000, I'd say that favorite electronic auction house and
mix the lots to optimize the profits.

Keith R...

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Just my 2 cents - if an online site, don't flood the market all at once. Those who would really appreciate them may not be able/want to spend the money all at once, so the collection may not bring top dollar.

Pat

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
The best advice is don't rush. Find out what you have first.
We will help in that area for free.

Rob

John Cote

Staff member
Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
Do the research like Rob says above but sell them soon and don't fret about not getting absolute top value out of them. I have been doing this for 40 year or more and have sold thousands of watches. If someone can tell me how to get top retail value everytime...please do.

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
If you are going to send your watches to an auction house - and I am not saying you should (do your research first, as you have been advised) - be aware that if the auction house charges a "buyer's premium" in addition to a seller's fee, both those fees are actually coming out of your pocket, regardless of how the auction house chooses to obfuscate the matter. Unless a mistake is made, bidders will take the buyer's premium into account when deciding how much they are willing to bid. The same goes for state and local sales taxes, if any, unless the buyer happens to have a reseller tax number.

One other tip: If you are selling $100, $200 and $500 dollar items, don't take them to an auction house that makes its living selling $10,000, $50,000 and $100,000 items. You will likely not have a great experience.

Last edited:

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
My first tip would be - sell them all separately, and with each auction ending anywhere from 2 minutes to 1 day apart.
Also - for whichever outlet you choose to sell them in - take a look through some of the existing auctions, to get an idea of the level of information and photography that's generally expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller