OK to spray false plate with hammerite ?

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Hi, this post is just in case I am doing something stupid. My old cast original false plate is a dirty rusty creamy color. easiest remedy is spray with Hammerite smooth white paint. Acceptable or not?
Regards
Chris

FALSE PLATE.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I have never heard of Hammerite, but I would leave the color as-is. If you are concerned about rust, clear lacquer will stop that and not change the color. Just my opinion.

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Clean up the rust and leave it

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I don't see that many, but when I do they are black. I would have thought an iron phosphate conversion or another chemical blacking would be the most appropriate.

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
I have never heard of Hammerite, but I would leave the color as-is. If you are concerned about rust, clear lacquer will stop that and not change the color. Just my opinion.
Thanks Guys, that's why I asked, rust treatment and lacquer seems favourite at the moment.
chris

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If you are trying to 'improve' the old finish, tread lightly. You can clean it up, remove the dust and loose paint and wipe on some thined down oil base paint of the correct color. This will make it look better and stop the rust for a while. I haven't tried the clear coat method on a clock but antique car restores are using it a lot, with good results. Willie X

Last edited:

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
If you are trying to 'improve' the old finish, tread lightly. You can clean it up, remove the dust and loose paint and wipe on some thined down oil base paint of the correct color. This will make it look better and stop the rust for a while. I haven't tried the clear coat method on a clock but antique car restores are using it a lot, with good results. Willie X
Thanks Willie, I guess what I was trying to say is would I be acting to the detriment of this old clock by giving the false plate a coat of paint and the answer is I think yes. The answer is yes unless i could recreate the patina on the paint or sandblast then blacken. I am minded now to just clean it and apply Renaissance Wax??
Chris

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I suspect the white finish appeared on the falseplate when it was repurposed from its original clock.

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
I suspect the white finish appeared on the falseplate when it was repurposed from its original clock.
Nick you may be right however I have seen a few of these on line and white so it's open to question?
Chris

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Does the white appear in any of the holes? It is on its second clock so may have been painted between holes as it were

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Does the white appear in any of the holes? It is on its second clock so may have been painted between holes as it were
Hi nick, if you mean in the holes on the false plate yes every hole on the false plate is all white. I see what you are getting at but no the plate was painted off the clock. right now all the false plates I can see on line look bare and rusty but i have seen them with identical dirty white as this one.
Chris

Last edited:

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
So if the paint is in all the holes it isn't the original finish, because when it was first sold and used on a clock it didn't have as many holes.

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Hi Chris,

Even if the plate was painted from new, it certainly wouldn't have been Hammerite!

Regards,

Graham
Thanks for that Graham. Actually I
did get a message from a forum member stating had used equivalent to Hammerite for such things then buffed it down to get a more authentic look. So there you go, it's always worth seeing where a suggestion will develop. Personally I don't like Hammerite but everything has its uses.
Chris

Last edited:

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
So if the paint is in all the holes it isn't the original finish, because when it was first sold and used on a clock it didn't have as many holes.
Thanks Nick just for clarity when first sold and used on a clock why would there have been less holes?
Chris

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The falseplates were delivered on the dial with the just the holes for the dial feet. The clockmaker fits feet to the falseplate to suit the movement, adds semicircular cutouts to fit winding arbours. That gives you four holes and four feet. Two cutouts, or perhaps a third for the seconds arbour.

More holes than that suggests a repurposed plate, with or without the original dial.

clock-component

Reactions: ChrisCam

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
The falseplates were delivered on the dial with the just the holes for the dial feet. The clockmaker fits feet to the falseplate to suit the movement, adds semicircular cutouts to fit winding arbours. That gives you four holes and four feet. Two cutouts, or perhaps a third for the seconds arbour.

More holes than that suggests a repurposed plate, with or without the original dial.

clock-component
Thanks Nick I now understand.
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre