Ok, this is REALLY weird

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Rob P., Mar 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have what's supposed to be a 6s Waltam movement. According to the NAWCC database it's a 6s 11J LS hunter.

NAWCC-Info

Based on the database, I bought a case for it. It doesn't fit the case. I put a known 6s Elgin in the case and it fit perfectly.

So I measured. The Elgin is 1.275" on the back side and the main plate diam is 1.364".

The Waltham measures 1.325" on back side and 1.372" across the mainplate.

Yeah, that ain't going to fit.

I'm wondering if the book is wrong and this is an 8s movement. Can someone measure an 8s for me? If it's not 8s then maybe this movement requires a special case.

Either way, the movement and the database don't match.

(As an aside, I can't just put the Elgin in the case, it's a LS only case and the Elgin is SWSS.)

2. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mods, please move this to watch repair.

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had some of my 1873 model movements out and could measure them.
    8-size pillar plate diameter is ~1.421"
    8-size back diameter is ~1.26"

6-size pillar plate diameter is ~1.378"
    6-size back diameter is ~1.26"

(my gauge is millimeters but I converted to inches)

4. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Jerry. Based on what you said, and what I can find out, this is a 6s movement but it's going to require a special case.

Not only is it bigger in diameter, but the lever is at 21 minutes instead of 24 minutes.

This one is going to be expensive to recase and may take awhile.

5. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rob, is the movement your trying to case a model 1873-6??

6. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh.. yes it is, I hit your link yesterday and didn't see the information. Apologies. I just tried again.

Just found out through trial and error with a case I have recently recieved that the 1873-6 is a special size. I had the opposite, the 8 size I wanted to case was too big, the 6 size I tried after was too small. After some digging I took my keywind 1873-6 and set it into the case just to see if it fit, and sure enough it went right in. Your thread here actually prompted me to look at the Walthams to find the correct movement, so thank you....

Learning opportunity presented itself.... Like always I learn it all the hard way.
    It's all good though, now I get to dig into that model and see what good things pop up.

7. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wait, you mean I maybe have something even more special here? (There were, according to the Pocketwatch database, only 1500 of these movements made.)

Whoo hoooo!!!! Finally, I win one.

The bad news is that unless I can find another 1873-6 in a case, I'm probably going to have to get a nickel or silver case and "modify" it to accept this movement. Need to do some more measuring before I go that far though, sometimes the lift springs will interfere and bind. And that's without the abby normal setting lever position issue.