OK, if U won't join, will U SMILE on NAWCC?

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, all!

Every purchase you make on AMAZON can benefit NAWCC – at NO extra cost to you!

Amazon's SMILE program will donate 1/2 of 1 percent of every purchase you make on Amazon to NAWCC – with no increase in your pricing. So, if you spend 10 bucks on Amazon, NAWCC will get a nickel. Might not sound like much, but how often have you spent ONLY $10 on Amazon?

If every one of us did this, that could easily be thousands of nickels! And a lot of us are using Amazon – a lot – these days!

Whether you're an Amazon customer or not, it's really easy: Just go to smile.amazon.com . There's an orange button for "Get started" on the left of the page near the top.

If you are already an Amazon customer, you can then enter the e-mail address you're using for your account and your Amazon password. You'll then be given an opportunity to select the charity you wish to support. If you type "NAWCC" into the box and hit "Search," NAWCC pops up, along with a couple of NAWCC chapters. If you're not an Amazon customer, you can create an account. There's no obligation!

Select "National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors," then select "Yes" on the next page, reminding you that from now on, you'll want to go to smile.amazon.com to have your purchases provide donations to NAWCC. If you don't want to donate all the time, you can keep using amazon.com, and no donations will happen.

Use smile.amazon.com to make your purchases, and you will support NAWCC at NO cost to you. Everything on Amazon will work exactly the way you're used to.

When you sign in, or when you're automatically signed in, you'll see a line just under the box (where you type what you're looking for) that says "Supporting: National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc." If you don't see that, you may not be signed in to smile.amazon.com or you're signed in to support some other charity.

Amazon has donated more than $183 MILLION to charity through the SMILE.AMAZON.COM program. Your purchases from Amazon can benefit NAWCC – and it costs you nothing to provide that support!

So, will you spare a SMILE for NAWCC?

Thank you!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

P.S.: If you can't get it to work, PM me, and I'll help!

Reactions: PatH

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
So i guess it does not work for Amazon Canada?

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Kevin!

I don't know. If I go to the Amazon Canada site, I find information that says Amazon Smile has not yet been implemented for Amazon Canada. Interestingly, there's a 7-page brochure on Amazon Smile listed by Amazon Canada, but I can't purchase it via Amazon Canada. I am told I have to make my purchases via Amazon.com.

I will continue to investigate.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Best regards!

Tim

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I've been doing the Amazon Smile thing for many years. I thought everyone knew about it.

Frank

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks Tim for looking into this.

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Kevin and all!

OK, read the brochure, but nothing in it about using the program in Canada. I wonder: If you live in Canada, can you still make use of amazon.com, or are you forced to use amazon.ca?

Best regards!

Tim

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
I tried looking up Amazon Smile + my Country's name on the net
The UK is
I have not had chance to find out if the NAWCC is on their list of charities yet

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
In Canada we have to use Amazon.ca

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, all!

Looks like folks outside of the USA will not be able to support NAWCC through the "Smile" program, either because Smile is not offered where they are or because NAWCC is not a recognized charity in their countries.

Of course, NAWCC always has a "YMCA" policy: "Y"our "M"oney "C"heerfully "A"ccepted! Donate | National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors, Inc.

Best regards!

Tim

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, all!

I guess I should have been able to figure out that Amazon's adoption of the "Smile" system would vary country by country, and that you might be restricted from using Amazon in any other country but your own (though that isn't true of Ebay, is it?). Anyway, of course, where NAWCC is not a registered charity, even if Smile were active, you wouldn't be able to donate to it.

That said, I strongly suspect that only a relatively few USA Amazon users take advantage of Smile, and fewer still of its ability to donate to NAWCC. We have a tendency to assume that just because something is there, everyone should know about it. My experience in advertising and marketing shows that nothing could be further from the truth.

There is also a way (but at extra cost) to make donations to NAWCC when you pay for your purchases on PayPal, but I haven't yet figured out exactly how to make that work automatically. When I do, I will report on that.

Best regards!

Tim

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
I object to this promotion of Amazon.

The company is one of the largest tax cheats in the world. The reason that they can afford to "donate $183million to charities" is that they save BILLIONS of dollars a year through tax avoidance.

I will not use this company, and I encourage others also not to do so.

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, all!

Received this from Amazon today:

"This is the quarterly AmazonSmile notification to inform you that the charity you’ve selected, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc., recently received a donation of $119.27, at no cost to you.

"Thanks to customers shopping at smile.amazon.com, or with AmazonSmile turned on in the Amazon shopping app, everyday purchases generated over $236 million in donations to charities worldwide so far.

"AmazonSmile's impact:
  • $1,779.14 to National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc.*
  • $217,644,976.48 to all charities in the US
  • $237,615,915.89 to all charities worldwide
"*Message reflects the charity you were supporting as of November 24."

Not a huge donation, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, all!

Here's the report from Amazon. Their donation to us has increased over the one made in December of 2020.
Amazon.com
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dear Tim Orr,

This is the quarterly notification to inform you that the charity you've selected, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc., recently received a donation of $194.35 from AmazonSmile -- at no cost to you or other customers.

Thanks to customers shopping at smile.amazon.com, or with AmazonSmile ON in the Amazon Shopping app, everyday purchases have generated over $266 million in donations to charities worldwide so far.

AmazonSmile's impact:
  • $1,973.49 to National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc.*
  • $241,928,506.19 to all charities in the US
  • $266,896,659.48 to all charities worldwide
To track donations or change your charity, simply visit Your AmazonSmile Impact page.

Want to use AmazonSmile in the Amazon Shopping app on your phone? Learn how to activate here.

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Going Up!

Here's the report I received today:

"This is the quarterly notification to inform you that AmazonSmile has made a charitable donation to the charity you’ve selected, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc., in the amount of $225.73 as a result of qualifying purchases made by you and other customers who have selected this charity."

Best regards!

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodgoff
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller