Oiling Mainwheels

Dodsworth

Jun 28, 2022
Country
Grandfather Mainwheels. Where does one oil these?

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
If this is an 8-day longcase then oil on the clicks and their pivots. As said, we do need pictures, though as I've no idea what clocks you are referring to.

Dodsworth

Jun 28, 2022
Country
If this is an 8-day longcase then oil on the clicks and their pivots. As said, we do need pictures, though as I've no idea what clocks you are referring to.
It was my understanding one only adds oil to parts which move 24/7 and grease to the parts which don't.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Can you provide a picture showing those points or pivot where the oil is applied?
A photo of the clock you are asking about would be better. Every clock movement is different. With your photo, we can use it to show you the exact spots where you need oil.

Dodsworth

Jun 28, 2022
Country
My camera is broken. It is just your normal Grandfather clock chain main. Other than putting oil on the pivots when assembled I wanted to know if there is any place on that mainwheel which needed lubricated especially after being ultrasonically cleaned and rinsed with water and then dried. After this cleaning mains need some lubrication.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I only oil the two pivots at the plates. Some oil the click but I do not. If cleaned well a dried and there is no rust, they should function indefinitely.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If it has a pinned tension washer on one end, that can use a little oil at the friction point, as can the sleeve that the chain wheel turns on. Also, a little oil where the wheel spokes rub against the side of the chain wheel. These parts don't wear to much but they can develop a squeak and make your clock harder to wind.

I'm assuming you took this all apart?

Willie X

Reactions: Dodsworth

Dodsworth

Jun 28, 2022
Country
If it has a pinned tension washer on one end, that can use a little oil at the friction point, as can the sleeve that the chain wheel turns on. Also, a little oil where the wheel spokes rub against the side of the chain wheel. These parts don't wear to much but they can develop a squeak and make your clock harder to wind.

I'm assuming you took this all apart?

Willie X
That is why I am asking Willie X!
There had been one instance after rebuilding a movement the weights were very hard to pull up and there were some squeaks so while I had it apart I felt it wise to pose this question because I have always heard do not oil any part of the mains.

Thank you

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
As Will said in #13.
As I see it's now an 8-day LC i put a smear of turret clock oil on the click pivots and ratchet teeth but it's not the end of the world if you choose not to.

Now you can go back to repairing your camera ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Mall

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it helps, the pivots and their arbor are sometimes referred to as "axle points". Just two on each wheel. Never oil teeth except on the escape wheel, and then VERY moderately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-