• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Oh gee, another Ogee

jdubb

Oct 8, 2012
I got another ogee in ok shape. I will likely try to restore it since I like the face and glass and it runs very well. It's a Gilbert but I don't know much else. Any idea when this clock was built or if there's anything unique or special about this clock?

Attachments

jdubb

Oct 8, 2012
I just realized that the pics make it look like it's in pretty good shape. Just outside the frame, there's a lot of missing veneer which I will want to repair. Where do you get thick veneer?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Well, if the information in this post is correct, it would seem to have been made either between 1845 and 1848 or 1851-1866. Either way, an older clock. Is there a printer's name & address at the bottom of the label. That might give a further clue, but no guarantees.

jdubb

Oct 8, 2012
No, unfortunately there's no printer information that I can see, although the label is in rough shape, so maybe it's just worn away.

It's odd but it looks like the previous owner had the case apart and put it back together with hot glue. I've not seen that before. I'm going to peel the hot glue off and use some hide glue to reassemble properly.

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
There was a slew of them on EBay this past week. Several were very much like the one you have. I tried to bid but the bidding was really frantic the last 10 seconds (auto-bidding?). Yours looks to be in reasonable shape.

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joost
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-