ogee tablet

Discussion in 'Clock Case Construction, Repair & Restoration' started by Kevin W., Oct 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a old ogee clock and i replaced the tablet, i looked at the top glass and it looks like putty was used to hold it in.Is the putty the way to go for the tablet also?
    Probaly a dumb question but i am new at this.

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a old ogee clock and i replaced the tablet, i looked at the top glass and it looks like putty was used to hold it in.Is the putty the way to go for the tablet also?
    Probaly a dumb question but i am new at this.

3. Past Tyme

Past Tyme Registered User

Dec 29, 2004
    :)Hi Kevin
    I would use small wood strips myself makes life easier if you ever need to replace it again.I stain the ones I use a color too match the finish of the case or close to it.It usually makes no difference especially if you are keeping the clock for your own collection.This is only my opinion,I'am sure others have different thoughts.
    :biggrin:Cheers Shawn

4. TomT

TomT Registered User

Jan 2, 2003
    You might want to examine the door where the glass will be fitted with a good light. If you find holes from prior nails, then the wood strip approach is what was originally used. If there are no nail holes on the sides or bottom of the glass area, then putty would have been the original mounting method.

I would try to stay as original as possible just to maintain historical accuracy. Someday, your kids or grandkids may become collectors of your clocks and would likely appreciate your respect for accuracy.

Regards,