Ogee question - weight driven

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by earl08, Oct 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. earl08

earl08 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Male
    Computers
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello, I have done some searching but could not come up with a definitive answer to this question. Is there a way to visually tell the difference between a 30hr ogee and 8 day. By looking at the movement only? (no weights, no pendulum no case)

thanks

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, the latter is a much larger ckock. It has weights of about 7# and the winding arbors are much lower (further from the hand shaft) in or below the number ring.

A 1-day will have weights of about 2 1/2# to 3# and the winding holes will be much closer to the hand shaft. Usually at or just inside the number ring.

Just one weight of an 8-day Ogee will weigh as much as a complete 1-day Ogee! Hope this helps.

Willie X

3. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Generally speaking on an Ogee time side a 30 hr will have only one gear between the main wheel and the escapement wheel. On the strike side the strike lifting pins are on the main wheel. With a 8 day there is a separate wheel from the main with the strike lifting pins, usually its the second wheel. On the time side there will be two wheels between the main wheel and the escapement wheel. That's a quick and dirty inspection of the works but not necessarily always the case.

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The time and the strike side of the movement have one more wheel each to allow for the longer runtime.

Edit: Joseph beat me while I was typing.
    Uhralt

5. earl08

earl08 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Male
    Computers
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks very much, I have seen pictures of the winding arbors in relation to the hand shaft, but it didn't seem to be a reliable tell. The extra wheel makes sense. I asked because I found an E.N. Welch movement in a box with other parts and didn't know if it was an 8 day or 30 hour.

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is an 8-day and a 30-hour OG by the same maker. The larger is the 8-day.

RC

DSC00361.JPG DSC06025.JPG

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Worth a thousand words...:emoji_smiley_cat:

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User