Ofrei metal detector for watch parts?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Chris Radek, Apr 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Have any of you tried the metal detector Otto Frei sells? I see it's sold by other sites as a treasure-hunting device, so I wondered if anyone here has tried it on actual watch parts.

A while back I had to hunt for a stainless steel screw, so my usual magnet didn't work. I found it, but it was frustrating.

This device says it works on non-ferrous materials too. But can it really detect something so small? It seems too good to be true.

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
  3. Whereisitat

Whereisitat Registered User

Mar 14, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I think I can answer this one.....

Whereisitat? is a nod to the nature of watch parts.

But I also metal detect as a hobby and have a fair amount of time & success. There is one-and one only-handheld pinpointer that I would use for metal detecting. That is the Garret carrot & they got for about $140.00 luckily I've had mine so long I forget.

The problem is the cheap ones don't last & sensitivity is lacking etc..

For truly small parts-say wristwatch size screws I'd try something else like area preparation & a floor that is bare & clean. Or lots of spares & that's the way I went.

A metal detector on the floor will pick up screws, studs joiners & even staples. That is UNDER the floor so not much help if the lost part lands in such a area. And my pro pointer is limited to about a BB size and it has to be almost touching a certain area on the tip to respond.

In the soil & larger objects a whole different game and a very useful tool. But I'd pass for watch parts unless you had a floor built without any metal under the work area-kinda rare.

4. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I appreciate you sharing your experience. Sounds like not a panacea. Right now my floor actually doesn't have metal under it, but that may change soon. I'd like to try one, but I bet saving my $100 is the right thing to do. You are sure right that the real fix is a flat and very plainly colored floor (and duct tape or similar at the edge of all furniture)

5. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    For parts on the floor---a vacuum cleaner with a piece of nylon (hose or panty hose) stretched over the nozzle works really well.
    The vac will find the part--pick it up and hold it against the nylon for you to retrieve.

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Attachment of a bib or apron to the bench usually catches most of what may fall towards the floor.

7. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I have a pull out apron with my bench---for some reason my parts never fall in it--lol.
    Guess it's a good thing I don't have much time (and good eye sight) to work with the watches much.these days.

8. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i have a sorting system when ever i clean up the shop floor. My shop is like a small cubical with swivel chair in middle. When I sweep i have a series of wire screens that the sweep pile goes into. I get down on the knees to sweep and use small hand held brush. A regular broom will tear up some parts. There is usually a hair ball or two. if parts get stuck in them and i cant get them with magnet then they are toast. I tried burning hair balls but it really stinks too much bother. After sorting the sand in progressivley finer dust piles i just bag them in spare plastic grocery bags. i am deliberately slow on tossing them out as the work involved in replacing the part can far exceed careful checking and rechecking.