Odobey Tower Clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by giorgio, Feb 3, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Santa Barbara, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,
    I have acquired this tower clock in France (I live in Madrid but will be back in California, clock and all) this coming July. The picture is in reality a sister clock but mine is exactly the same. Exactly-

Does anyone know how the striking mechanism was attached and could someone suggest an ingenious way to attach a small bell. I have two bronze ones, about 8 inches in diameter. I will have other questions.

I would also welcom opinions on this clock whic is 4 feet wide, two feet high and deep.
    Thanks Giorgio

Attached Files:

2. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you're going to need more pictures.

3. Grant Perry

Grant Perry Registered User

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice Clock,
    Where was it manufactured? France?
    Grant

4. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Giorgio:

We would love to have you bring your new tower clock movement to the Chapter 190 meeting in Ventura! I am sure you will get several very good suggestions as to how best to arrange the striking.

Chapter 190 meets the third Sunday of each month, so the July meeting will be the 19th. If that isn't convenient for you, the August meeting will be the 16th.

If you are interested in displaying the movement to our chapter, please let me know and I will arrange to have you scheduled into the program.

RobertG

5. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    You'll find Odobey clocks here.

http://www.my-time-machines.net/

Contact Mark Frank, owner of the site. He may have some suggestions for you. I don't think he has been able to register on this site successfully.

Ralph

7. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Santa Barbara, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all for the comments. The clock is French, from the Jura region and I drove 1000 miles to Britanny to get it. Odobay is an old maker, but this clock is probably late XIX or early XX. I would welcome opinions on dating.

It is very well made, with screwed in bushings and highly polished brass and bronze. The dial on the secondary/setting dial on mine is slightly damaged. I had a hard time figuring out the weights, but I am getting there. I have communicated with M Frank, he is a great source of information.

Ventura Chapter: I am a member and would love to show it to the members when I get back.

I have another tower here, smaller but much older. I had sent some pictures an questions before, but with little response. Anybody interested in more questions about them?

I know a fair amount about the tower clock market in Europe, but I am not a dealer and this is actually something that wanted to have for a long time. My "oher" clocks are high quality French (Paris) movements, visible escapements, silk threada and Empire, Morez/Morbiere, marine chronometers (I have a Hamilton 21, a 22, a Mercer, and an incomplete U. Nardin.

Regards,
    Giorgio Perissinotto
    Currently in Madrid, Spain

Giorgio Perissinotto