Odo Carillon Identification

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by hyperdqh, Feb 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hyperdqh

hyperdqh Registered User

Feb 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    I own this Odo carillon, but after a while learning, I am skeptical about this carillon case !? It doesn't seem like Odo clock !? The carillon face is also very strange because of its large size (22cm) despite the "Odo" logo printed! Is this an original carillon Odo !? and what time is it produced !?
    Thank you

B7F3B10A-AFE0-42C5-AC2F-97F2118EDF95.jpeg 5C5FD7F6-F073-4A65-95FE-CCA9953460AE.jpeg 77BB9A43-A784-43F4-B273-8C8A01C3A756.jpeg 873BB49E-08CA-41C0-A3A0-371485BD81F2.jpeg

2. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC. I agree the case and dial look more like what was made during the 1930's while the movement was made later on. If the clock is a marriage of parts it is among the more professionally-done examples. The movement should play Westminster and another melody - likely Gai Carillon de Scotto - and bim-bam strikes the hours, which is a feature unique to Odo clocks.

3. hyperdqh

hyperdqh Registered User

Feb 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank so much! The movement play Westminster and Gai Carillon, with logo ODO on Rectangular
    With the information collect on NAWCC, I also thought this watch was produced in the 1930s! But I suspect the origin of the clock shell and the face (Size 22cm, larger than the usual size 20 cm), although the face of the watch is printed with "Odo" logo
    Thanks so much for more informations on it
    Rgs

4. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Descriptive literature from a 1950's Odo catalog give the following music scores and even lyrics for the hour chime.

Odo Chimes.png

The lyrics for the top of hour:

C'est l'heure qui sonna ou gai carillon.
    Au gai carillon Odo.

The hour strikes are incorporated as "O-DO".

Vincent Scotto was a renowned French composer, leading a lengthy career with over 4000 composed musical works. He also wrote 60 operettas and took part in a variety of feature films. A more extensive biography can be found here: Vincent Scotto - Biographie

Vincent_Scotto_02.jpg

Unfortunately further information regarding his involvement with Odo has not yet been discovered. The majority of Gai Carillon chime clocks spotted on auction or in collections appear to be from the 1950s-onward period. Odo clocks that play this chime turn up frequently in France and Vietnam, but are exceedingly rare elsewhere. I do not think I've ever seen such a clock locally (I currently live in Wisconsin).

5. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. hyperdqh

hyperdqh Registered User

Feb 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It's very interesting, I know a place in Aix-en-Provence City (France) named Vincent Scotto when I lived in France 10 years agos.
    #chimeclockfan have you full version of Odo's catalog? Can you share it by scan file or picture? Thanks alots

7. hyperdqh

hyperdqh Registered User

Feb 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It is true that most Odo clocks now stay in France (country of origin) and Vietnam (because the French peoples brought them to Vietnam during the war) and the Vietnamese of the next generation inherited and collect them because the Odo clocks bell has entered the subconscious of the Vietnamese people.

8. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The catalog page came from NAWCC member Any400day, who had a collection of old catalogs which were in the process of being digitally scanned. He has not been active for a while so it has not been possible to get in contact with him. Occasionally old catalogs do turn up for sale on auction sites like eBay.

Some of these clocks - from Odo and other French-regional brands - were brought over to Vietnam during the 1930's, became popular with the Vietnamese people, and have more recently demanded further importation of these clocks. Since 2008 there have been several Vietnamese antiques dealers on Youtube who have showcased clocks from Odo and other brands. The actual sales listings appear to be done on other websites.

The rise of global auction sites such as eBay has also made it much easier to import antique clocks from different countries.