Help Oddball cuckoo movement

blueloon

Jan 13, 2010
Rockford, IL area
Country
Region
I have been away from this for some time because of health issues, but I'm trying to get back into it. Unfortunately, I ran across an oddball cuckoo clock that a family member asked me to repair. It's a hunter clock that had some broken (missing) case parts that I had to carve and match to the remaining pieces. I thought that was going to be the hard part. Boy, was I wrong!

This movement is a one-day cuckoo and music. I've never seen another like it. I took pictures while I was taking it apart, but was too dumb to check to make sure the pictures came out good before I disassembled. Anyway, it's cleaned, reassembled, and running on my stand, but the music train starts at the same time as the cuckoo train. There is no extra wire to hold the music fan in this movement. I cannot figure it out and am hoping that there's someone out there who knows exactly what the problem is. Thanks in advance for any help!

20210501_164942.jpg 20210501_170114.jpg

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Look for the warning wheel in the music train. That is likely where the music is held until the cuckoo is finished. I haven't worked on one of these specifically.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Post a pic or two of the music box for us.

blueloon

Jan 13, 2010
Rockford, IL area
Country
Region
I'll check out the warning wheel and see what I can find. Thanks for giving me a place to start.

I don't remember that I did get that cog off. I think I cleaned around it really well with a toothbrush.

Here's a picture of the music box. No plastic wheels here!

20210502_131718.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
We really need to see the interaction between the movement and the music box.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
1620071796564.png 1620071810655.png I

If this is the front and back of the same clock, why is the fan located on the same side?

blueloon

Jan 13, 2010
Rockford, IL area
Country
Region
Those pictures looked odd to me, too. I did a "selfie" to get the back of it. Here's a better picture of the back.

The only interaction between the movement and the music box is that the gear on the music box meshes with the ratchet wheel. That picture is from before I took it apart.

20210503_192517.jpg IMAG1777.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I never did like that design. The strike side has to reach clear across the movement to the music side, and there are so many things that can go wrong. The music warning and stop are accomplished by the same cam wheel, and the tolerances are so tight that the slightest wear in the cam will mess up the timing. One of my 3 or 4 failures to repair involved such a movement. I had no way to duplicate the cam wheel.

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello,

Here is the quail to strike connecting lever on a wood plate cuckoo/quail movement. It took me too long to get that thing to work properly. At least it was on the outside so it was easy to access.

P1020905.JPG

Jim

Last edited:

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
The last one I worked on like yours was a Gebruder Kuner movement. It sure looks like yours. My Kuner played with problems on the stand too. You have to remember the music man closes like the cuckoo I set my stand and tied a little string to the music man door wire. As it would be in the closed position parallel to the plate. Once I did that the music issue was easy to set up.

blueloon

Jan 13, 2010
Rockford, IL area
Country
Region
The last one I worked on like yours was a Gebruder Kuner movement. It sure looks like yours. My Kuner played with problems on the stand too. You have to remember the music man closes like the cuckoo I set my stand and tied a little string to the music man door wire. As it would be in the closed position parallel to the plate. Once I did that the music issue was easy to set up.
Thanks for the info, Thomas. I'll try that and let you know how it comes out. Might take me a couple of days to get back to it. Life gets in the way sometimes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre