Odd Parker alarm clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by jboger, Nov 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Odd at least to me. I bought this about two months ago at an auction that had several pocket watches and alarm clocks. This is an off item for me as not generally interested in this sort of thing. But at the time, it struck me as something different.

The dial seems to be a coated paper and has a Parker Trademark logo, which I have found on the web. It seems Parker made things other than just alarm clocks, coffee grinders for example. I did find other Parker alarm clocks, but not this model.

The bell is in the base and has a separate winding mechanism. I opened it up. It's quite dirty inside. It runs well and keeps good time. And the hairspring is true blue (no rust) and true in the round and flat. Because the movement is dirty I don't like to run it.

Anyway, I did not find out much from the web. I can continue to search. In any case I still find it an interesting arrangement even if just another run-of-the-mill alarm clock.

I'll add photos later.

2. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Found a picture of what I have from an 1893 Parker catalog. I inserted the box around my alarm clock.

s-l1600.jpg

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It would still be nice to see pictures of the real thing, that is, your clock, if you are able to post some photos.

JTD

4. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here are the pictures. I thought I was missing a key to set the time. Just recently I discovered one just pulls out a center piece in the back (see picture) and then sets the clock. Easy. If any one has any thing to add about this clock or Parker, I'd be glad to read it.

IMG_0657.jpg IMG_0658.jpg IMG_0659.jpg

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks for posting these photos (but wish you had taken some when you had the movement out). Looks to be in nice condition.

The Parker Clock Company was founded in 1893, when Charles Parker bought out the fancy goods company of Parker & Whipple (they of the coffee grinders etc.) and renamed the company Parker Clock Company. The firm was in Meriden, CT. The company did well until the depression hit. From about 1926 on the company suffered a number of ups and downs and finally wen out of business in 1934.

Whether they actually made the clocks they sold I cannot say. It may be that they simply imported them, badged with the Parker name. If we could see the movement inside your clock, it might be possible to know who made it.

This model has come up for auction more than once - you can find it on the internet.

JTD

6. SteveC1964

SteveC1964 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Retired
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I’ve collected alarm clocks a very long time. Parker made very good alarm clocks.

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think they also held a patent for "rotating hammer" alarm clocks.

Uhralt

8. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It's an easy matter to remove the movement from the holder.

9. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here are photos.

IMG_0689.jpg IMG_0690.jpg IMG_0691.jpg