• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Nye Watch Oil.

LarFure

Nov 30, 2003
Country
Region
Does anyone use Nye watch oil? I usually use Mobius synthetic oils when I service a watch,but noticed that the Nye oils are a little less expensive.

FredWJensen

Feb 1, 2007
I have used them with no problems, but if you only do a few watches a month perhaps go with the synthetic. The synthetic oil seems to bead together where the nye oil seems to run more. But both are a great improvement from the fish oil they once used in the good oil days.

LarFure

Nov 30, 2003
Country
Region
FredWJensen said:
I have used them with no problems, but if you only do a few watches a month perhaps go with the synthetic. The synthetic oil seems to bead together where the nye oil seems to run more. But both are a great improvement from the fish oil they once used in the good oil days.
From what I read the Nye oil was synthetic too.(PML-80) But I can't seem to be able to find any oiling charts for the Nye oils like the Mobius has. Do you use one type of oil for the whole movement? I use four different Mobius oils to lube a movement.

Don Dahlberg

Aug 31, 2000
PML oil was originally designed by Hamilton Watch Co. It is a fine general purpose watch oil for pocket watches and vintage watches. These watches are not very particular.

Modern high beat watches require special oils though. Many require the use of specific oils in specific spots.

Don

Vic Kuring

May 12, 2005
I use Nye synthetic watch and clock oils in the watches I work on. I've never had any problems with Nye. I use a light bodied mainspring oil for the barrel and a few of the setting parts called "Mainspring Lube-Lite"

My focus is on old pocket watches and the occasional american wrist watch.

As far as the Nye oils spreading:

I personally only had that happen when I accidentially over oil :mysad:.

I would recommend Nye products with no hesitation for the earlier watches.

EmmaR

Jun 29, 2007
www.taswatchhospital.com
Interesting Topic.

I use mobius oils, but thinking about it, its only because its ingrained in me and I know what all the numbers are. ill have to get some and do a test, but my thought is, how many watches do you do to worry about how much oil costs? cost per watch on a bottle is hardly an issue, to me anyway..
just my thought.

Interesting to learn about new oils, because i used Mobius in my first shop, and I still do now.. maybe there is something better out there?

*EMMA*

LarFure

Nov 30, 2003
Country
Region
Don said:
PML oil was originally designed by Hamilton Watch Co. It is a fine general purpose watch oil for pocket watches and vintage watches. These watches are not very particular.

Modern high beat watches require special oils though. Many require the use of specific oils in specific spots.

Don
I guess it would be less complicated to keep one oil pot on the bench than the four or five I usually use. I'll order a bottle of the PML-80 and give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent