Help Feature Numbering on Conversation Posts

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
How useful would people find a numbering system on conversations like the one on public posts?

Regards,

Graham

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Could you explain what you mean a bit more, Graham? The individual posts in a thread are numbered at the upper right. You must mean something else.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Shutt, he is asking about adding the number to conversations/pm like in this screenshot of a conversation between Pat Holloway and me. I have seen some very long conversations where it is difficult to refer to a previous remark.
upload_2019-8-27_11-45-32.png

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Ahh, ok. Yeah, that would be easier on long conversations. It's more like you're just adding to the existing conversation. You could add comments to either the top or bottom, which makes it worse ;)

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I think it would be like "you said in reply 7 that ..." but currently there is no easy way to say that. You could say in the 7th message and let the reader count from the top, but they might lose interest quickly.

We will need to upgrade to the next major version of XenForo sometime this Fall, since this version is no longer being maintained, so I would look for the feature at that time.

Reactions: PatH

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Tom,

We will need to upgrade to the next major version of XenForo sometime this Fall, since this version is no longer being maintained, so I would look for the feature at that time.
Thanks, looking forward to it!

Regards,

Graham

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I got to wondering how the reply with quote works in conversations and it might address this need.

If you quote anything from a previous remark (or post in the case of threads), The resulting quote contains a link back to its containing post in either conversations or threads.

Probably another feature that we have not adequately explained.

It is possible to rearrange threads by merging two threads so that a reference to an actual number is not reliable. The links are reliable in locating the source.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Tom,

Since both thread posts and conversation remarks appear to offer the same functionality, I guess I assumed that the numbering facility was also available in the latter. It seems I was wrong in this assumption, (as a confirmation of the risks in making assumptions generally!).

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmvalente
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre