Now I’m excited

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by pmwas, Aug 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Finally I got myself a Lord Elgin Electronic - as an Elgin fan I had to have at least one and now I won the bidding only half an hour ago. The price was high for a non-working watch, and till the last minute I was thinking if I should bid any higher, but eventually - I did.

Well - I don’t have much hope this is capable of ticking, but... at least I have an Electronic model now :)

Will update this thread when it arrives :)

PatH and viclip like this.
  2. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes... once upon the time I’ve bought three 725 Electronic movements just to examine. It’s a simple design with an elektromagnet and a magnetic spot on the balance. The balance will move a tiny wire closing the circuit for a short while, and the electromagnet will just turn on for a moment to interact with the balance. The problem is the wire is very, very fragile and all three are broken. The wire is short and won’t reach the roller. Even worse, it’s all soldered together, so pretty much irrepairable. I think it’s not even the softness of the wire, but it’s fragility that’s a problem with the 725 and maybe it was just a wrong material chosen that killed the movement and - perhaps - Elgin itself. All in all - even though I expect to find a 725 in my watch, my 725s are no good for parts, but at least I know better how a 725 was supposed to work...

viclip likes this.
  3. diveboy

diveboy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Male
    Melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    so your saying the Elgin electronic killed Elgin ?

4. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In part - likely so. One would have to see the accounts to know for sure, but... Notice how much money it takes to develop a whole new technology, establish production lines, make a whole lot of watches, spend money on advertising, train the watchmakers to service them and then buy them all back as faulty.

If you look in the web - there were many different models already in production - the whole thing and it’s final failure must have cost Elgin a lot of money...

5. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    It's sad so many of these old Electrics are botched up. This model reminds me of the LIP R184 but without the suppression diode. I refreshed my memory from the service manual and nothing is soldered together in these, it's all screws. It doesn't say how the wire is attached to the movable contact, but it's a separate piece, and it's easy to get short lengths of platinum wire in those sizes... It doesn't seem so hopeless to me.

6. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Look what I’ve made :)

Not exactly remarkable, but it’s not even oiled, just put together from three movements :)

musicguy and viclip like this.
  7. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And I’m thinking - now I’m even more excited as maybe I will be able to make my watch run :) only it’s the first version with Elgin battery - will have t think how to bypass that issue - if it’s worth compromising the original design... well - I have to wait till it arrives anyway ;)

8. diveboy

diveboy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Male
    Melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    with out the suppression diode ? its on the back of the 725 coil mate, it was even on the 722.

makes you wonder where LIP got the idea for using a suppression diode on the R148 & R184 from doesn't it ?

9. diveboy

diveboy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Male
    Melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    its not the microcell version, you most likely have the twin W1 battery version of the 725.

10. diveboy

diveboy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Male
    Melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    This is the second time I have seen you claim they brought back all the electronics ? where is the source of this statement please ?

11. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Male
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IIRC, the diode is the reason the Elgin Electronic is electronic, not simply electric, like the Hamilton Electric.

Jeff Hess likes this.
  12. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    RE the connection between LIP & Elgin electrics, don't forget that those 2 companies entered into a cooperation agreement to that end in 1949 which lasted into the 1950s. Indeed LIP sent a number of their French engineers over to the Elgin facility as part of the consortium.

13. John Runciman

John Runciman Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm a bit puzzled? If they really were all faulty and the company did purchase them all why is it they keep showing up on eBay?

Then as a reminder when you're connecting up your power source you do have to get the polarity correct otherwise your energy goes through the diode and the watch doesn't run.

14. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, yes - polarity observed.

As for the watch itself - I did use a wrong term „buy back”. I don’t want to quote other websites too much, but I read 725 release was a failure and the watches were „removed from the market and detroyed”. Like it was said, however, there is no real evidence on what happened with the entire 725 production - I’d assume the few examples showing up from time to time... well... if some were ever sold, some must have survived. But no more assuming as it’s... dagerous...

15. diveboy

diveboy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Male
    Melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    some guy has a bunch of them.

Jeff Hess likes this.
  16. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, so… my watch has been shipped from Kentucky today and is due to arrive at Sep 4th. Which is probably how it will be as the GSP estimations are usually quite accurate.
    I have to admit I'm less excited than I was at first and that is the problem with international shipping - you buy a watch, so excited you've finally got one and than you wait… and wait… and wait… :)
    Also, I don't think I will be able to attend to it before mid-september anyway. Until then… I have to be patient, even though… I'm just not a patient person :)

17. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok, my watch has arrived. It needs a balance (broken) a setting arbor (screw broken off) and a new crown. A crown should be easy to make (fit) and I have the other parts, so maybe, maybe...

viclip likes this.
  18. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yesterday I was a virtuoso - master watchmaker indeed... so I managed to replace the balance (easy) and setting stud, making the watch tick again (yet - the amplitude is sub-optimal), but I also managed to break the precious ‚ligntningbolt’ on the second hand while removing the crystal.

It’s a tightly fitted thick crystal and even when squeezed strongly - it’s still quite tight and so I pulled a bit and it slipped :(

Funny - whenever I’m extra cautious sonething bad happens. I wasn’t even angry, no. I usually am, but this time I was just very sad.

I resoldered and repainted the hand, but it’s not the same. When I have some time, I’ll try to fit a crown and install batteries to see if it’s alive enough to show you ;)

Still - Such a shame about the hand - it’s so precious...

viclip likes this.
  19. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Crown repair!!!

I filed down the crown, drilled it all theway through and put it on a staking set...

14553406-6612-4319-B84D-E07FB45553F9.jpeg

As you see - it has a round hole and it needs a square. In this case - it’s easier to do it the hard way.

I have the stem with screw broken in...

A27217DE-DE69-4027-929E-A25C41EDB4E2.jpeg

...and I just punched it into the hole, making a square.

458C0404-3FA7-41B1-ABA4-5AE0652CDC21.jpeg

Now it just take to fit a screw (I use another spare stem, good one this time).

DB24A54D-6D31-4C5B-9F2D-318C39951FE8.jpeg

And...

C9F56DCD-226C-4A6D-86AC-477B8700DEEC.jpeg

...done!!! The batteries are on their way, so soon I will see what I’ve got :)

viclip likes this.
  20. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK - today I got my batteries and a strap.

IMG_3661.JPG

I installed the batteries and the watch did start off sluggishly.
    I'm sorry - I forgot to clean the plate around the stem - I was willing to do so, but... I forgot :)

IMG_3665.JPG

This is how the watch looks.
    It's in not bad cosmetic condition...

IMG_3669.JPG

As you can see, the resoldered second hand is not bad, but the red bolt is thus slightly shorter...

IMG_3672.JPG

On the back, my replaced crown.
    It's of incorrect tone for the case, but I'm still proud :)

IMG_3671.JPG

The crystal has a low height and it's difficult to remove. Not very convenient for a watch opened through crystal ;)

IMG_3670.JPG

Below - the working watch. Actually - it does work in all positions (despite the low amplitude) and after 1.5 hours it keeps time...

Nice watch - I'm happy to have one in my collection :)

musicguy and viclip like this.
  21. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    4th day - the watch works and shows pretty much correct time!

5908C8A4-A591-4E64-871D-48B3A41C79B7.jpeg

I though the accuracy would be worse...

22. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here it is ‚watching’ Twin Peaks with me :)

32E60AB5-3305-412A-81EF-E592C4ACF9B7.jpeg

diveboy, Rick Hufnagel and viclip like this.