THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Replica clock find sparks hope for Notre-Dame restoration

"
The ruined clock in Notre-Dame, which measured two metres (6.5 feet) across, was located beneath the roof and spire of the Gothic monument which crashed down in the blaze that stunned France in April.

With original drawings lost and no digital records, photographs of the historic clock were the only clue experts had about how they might rebuild it.

Then French clockmaker Jean-Baptiste Viot stumbled across an almost identical version while completing an inventory last month at Saint Trinite church in northern Paris, four kilometres (2.5 miles) away from Notre-Dame.

"It's incredible. It's the same," he said. "It's like finding a second copy of a burned book."

The clock, which had been used in Saint Trinite until being replaced by an electric version more than 50 years ago, was found behind a wooden board next to statues and old furniture in a room accessible via a narrow staircase."

Last edited:

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
That is great news, the next question will be where it fits in the restoration queue alongside the religious artifacts, the organ, anything else I haven't thought of and no less than the building itself !!

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
That is great news, the next question will be where it fits in the restoration queue alongside the religious artifacts, the organ, anything else I haven't thought of and no less than the building itself !!
That is a major issue. The cost of restoring the clock will be very minor compared to what else they have to deal with. The article discusses it briefly, but there is no answer at this point. I cannot imagine that they will rebuild and not include a clock, but how traditional it will be remains to be seen. Since this is not an exact copy of the previous clock they may decide not to use it.

Organist

NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2010
Ohio
Country
Region
This is cool indeed! I'll bet they carefully document this process.

As an organist (my college major), I was holding my breath with other organists around the world about the fate of the great instrument as the cathedral burned. There are pipes in that organ that go back to the medieval period. Fortunately, it was positioned JUST RIGHT, and will play again.

Mike

Reactions: THTanner
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5