Notre-Dame clock could be restored - very cool

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by THTanner, Jun 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 THTanner, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Replica clock find sparks hope for Notre-Dame restoration

"
    The ruined clock in Notre-Dame, which measured two metres (6.5 feet) across, was located beneath the roof and spire of the Gothic monument which crashed down in the blaze that stunned France in April.

With original drawings lost and no digital records, photographs of the historic clock were the only clue experts had about how they might rebuild it.

Then French clockmaker Jean-Baptiste Viot stumbled across an almost identical version while completing an inventory last month at Saint Trinite church in northern Paris, four kilometres (2.5 miles) away from Notre-Dame.

"It's incredible. It's the same," he said. "It's like finding a second copy of a burned book."

The clock, which had been used in Saint Trinite until being replaced by an electric version more than 50 years ago, was found behind a wooden board next to statues and old furniture in a room accessible via a narrow staircase."

2. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is great news, the next question will be where it fits in the restoration queue alongside the religious artifacts, the organ, anything else I haven't thought of and no less than the building itself !!

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a major issue. The cost of restoring the clock will be very minor compared to what else they have to deal with. The article discusses it briefly, but there is no answer at this point. I cannot imagine that they will rebuild and not include a clock, but how traditional it will be remains to be seen. Since this is not an exact copy of the previous clock they may decide not to use it.

4. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is cool indeed! I'll bet they carefully document this process.

As an organist (my college major), I was holding my breath with other organists around the world about the fate of the great instrument as the cathedral burned. There are pipes in that organ that go back to the medieval period. Fortunately, it was positioned JUST RIGHT, and will play again.

Mike

THTanner likes this.