Nothing like some peace of mind

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Isaac, Mar 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi everyone,

Been away for a bit since I was busy with college coursework. With the recent outbreak of the Corona virus, I've had a sudden abundance of time to tackle some clocks that needed cleaning and maintenance. First up is my Junghans (you've probably seen it on a few posts on the NAWCC already), which had lots of crud in the pivot holes. It cleaned up nicely and now runs the chime and strike train almost completely silent. The pivot holes were in good condition after running through the ultrasonic and pegging. Pivots were cleaned and polished back to a mirror shine. Most of the pictures are before cleaning (for reference for reassembling the movement) - the photos of the movement in the case were after cleaning.

However, I reassembled the movement and forgot one of the control cams that goes between the plates! I had to split the plates again and go through the painstaking process of lining all the arbors up again. It would be nice to lacquer the plates again, but it doesn't affect the functionality of the movement.

The case responded very well to cleaning and waxing.

Anyhow, it's always a very satisfying thing to clean up a movement and know that you've just prolonged the life expectancy of the clock. Just thought I'd share this to brighten up someone's day.

IMG_0489.jpg IMG_0491.jpg IMG_0504.jpg IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0508.jpg IMG_0510.jpg

PatH, Dave T, Keith Conklin and 2 others like this.
  2. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a nice Junghans 'beehive'. I find these clocks to be reliable and well made in all aspects. If you look at the rod gong block you may find a patent registration number.

3. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, it's a nice mid-quality movement that built off of Junghan's earlier movement innovations. The most fickle thing about the movement was getting the locking plate aligned properly so that it'd lock reliably with the chime correction lever.

Yep, it has a patent number on the Rohr gong for an American patent. Some of the rohr gongs remained unmarked, if memory serves me right.