Notch on Strike Side Main Spring on Gilbert Movement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Ryan Cox, Jan 4, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. Ryan Cox

Ryan Cox New Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I'm curious why is there a notch on the strike side main spring on a Gilbert Movement? Is there a real reason for it? Is it suppose to be there? If so where can you obtain it? Where can you find out the length of the needed spring for a Gilbert Movement? It was my first Antique Clock. A beautiful large Porcelain Gilbert case is in perfect condition. I would be more than greatful for any conversation or help with this matter. Hooked on Clocks ever since I got her.

2. Randy Beckett

Randy Beckett Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 23, 2012
    33 yr. employee of American Electric Power Company
    Mt. Pleasant, Tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ryan, and welcome to the message board.

I'm sorry but I can't picture in my mind a notch on the side of the strike side mainspring, as I don't have a loose Gilbert movement here right now to look at, and am not sure which Gilbert movement you have. Could you post a picture of both the spring and the movement?

3. dickstorer

dickstorer Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    Male
    Retired Military
    Hampton, Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ryan, you are not going to get any response until you post a picture because we/I do not know what you are talking about.

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Ryan, welcome to the message board. If you have the spring, the best way to find its measurements is to measure it. You will need a micrometer for the thickness. As mentioned, a few pictures of what you have are needed to give you much help.

5. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmm. It's been National Gilbert Month around here lately--I've had four or five of them, of various vintages, and I don't really understand what you mean by that notch. Could it be possible that you're thinking of the countwheel, which is located on the same shaft as the strike main wheel in most Gilberts? This looks like a regular brass gear, but it has slits in it.

The steel mainspring itself shouldn't have any notches in it, for that would invite breakage. Please post a picture, and someone will be glad to help.

Mark Kinsler

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a couple of views of a movement I restored for a Gilbert china clock. Does it look like yours? Can you ID the part in question from it? (BTW, I didn't do the solder on the rack, and it was later removed and cleaned up :))
    Gilbert China Clock (4).jpg Gilbert China Clock (6).jpg