Not Your Average Hall Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by claussclocks, Jun 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just delivered this for a antique shop customer. I can't find my movement photos at the moment but If I do I will add them.

Very unusual design. I think it is Austrian. Strikes the Quarter hours on a 3" bell and the hours on a 5" bell. Re-strikes the hour at each quarter. Like to drove me nuts all those bells going off every 15 minutes when I was regulating this thing.

IMAG0836.jpg

2. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Groovy looking clock, though. :thumb:

3. G J M

G J M Registered User

Mar 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I agree with bangster. :cool:

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sweet looking clock. don't see many German clocks that strike a bell. they were always big on gongs.

what species of wood is the cabinet made of?

5. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 claussclocks, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Not being an American wood I am not sure what varieties they have that I would not know but it was a hard wood resembling maple or beech in appearance and grain up close. Seemed too hard for a basswood and was not a pine. I know that's not much help but I did not get to spend a lot of time with the case. I pulled the movement and serviced it. Wrapped the case for shipment and drove it 300 miles to its new home where everything was put back together and the new owners were about to leave town as soon as I finished and that was that. Not in my usual service call range but my client was the dealer where I am and they paid for the move because they wanted it handled by someone who knew how to pack and ship both case and movement.

The arrangement of having 2 bells mounted above the movement at about 40 degree angles to each other was different as well. Sounds more French than German but it was not French in design. Absolutely no names or markings on the case or movement as to who's work it was. Plates were steel with brass busings. Only significant brass were the wheels themselves, chains, and bells.

German clocks I am used to Walnut, Mahogany, Oak, and such. I do have a mantle clock in this same wood in storage, I need to get it out and see if I can identify it. Forgot about that clock.

Looking at a list of German woods I think it is Beech

6. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How interesting. I'll throw something out here based strictly on the combination of light and dark woods....I wonder if this might have been Austrian, possibly Biedermeier period? Beech was popular during that period. Thoughts anyone?

Pat

7. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It was listed as a Biedermeier. That was one reason I leaned toward the wood being Beech. Clock has a beautiful finish and the dial is a beautiful example of a porcelain on heavy metal dial pan.

Beautiful clock but Penny hates high pitched bells. I took them off when it was here for service. It is loud and frequent with that quarter hour repeat.

PatH likes this.
  8. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    I love this severe neoclassical design! The light colored exotic woods can sometimes almost look like Art Deco (and are sometimes mis-attributed as Deco). The Austrian clockmakers were heavily influenced by French design (there was an horology school in Vienna run by French masters). But you might also consider the possibility that it's Scandinavian, dating to around the turn of the 18thC. Wire and rod gongs were not used much until the 2nd third of the 19thC. The Swedes had a big steel industry, but brass, I think, had to be imported.