Not this problem again!

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,
I am a TOTAL sucker for cuckoo clocks and, of course, when this one showed up at a flea market yesterday for only 3 bucks, how could I resist? It only came with one weight, but it's in super condition. There are two things wrong with it. One: the time train chain has come off the sprockets. Two (this is what is really annoying me): as you can see in photo three, there seems to be the residue of some awful brown glue, used to keep the bellows in place. It certainly worked! So the big question is, how can I get the bellows out without damaging the case or the bellows, if that is at all possible. Thank you as always for any help you can offer on this promising project!
Regards.

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can try heating it to soften the glue, but you'll likely have to cut it out. Get a real thin piece of steel and sharpen the lead edge. Tap that into the glue until it breaks free.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Do try heating first. Many of these newer clocks are assembled
from some type of hot glue.
Look carefully for a nail or screw. They'd need to be removed
first.
Reinstall with a small brad and screw for the next guy.
Tinker Dwight

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
My favorite tool for this problem is an artists pallet knife and warming it also would be my suggestion. Be sure the screw is out. The locating nail will have to fend for itself as the bellows is released from the case. I use a heat gun a lot for heat.

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
You can try heating it to soften the glue, but you'll likely have to cut it out. Get a real thin piece of steel and sharpen the lead edge. Tap that into the glue until it breaks free.
A very thin blade stainless kitchen knife works well for this. Just place it in the glue joint and tap it down. A popular brand here in the States I use for this kind of work is RADA.

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
You won't like my answer, but I normally break them out with a screwdriver. It will rip the first layer of luan plywood off the inside of the clock a bit, but it easily sets in place with no visible exterior damage to the case. I don't glue them back in; I use a wood screw and nail like the more typical setup you see.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Listen to Chris. Just pry it off, and expect to leave a bit of wood somewhere. Won't hurt nothin' when it comes to reassembly

NEVER ATTACH A CUCKOO BELLOWS TO A CASE USING GLUE!!!!! Nail & screw.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Listen to Chris. Just pry it off, and expect to leave a bit of wood somewhere. Won't hurt nothin' when it comes to reassembly

NEVER ATTACH A CUCKOO BELLOWS TO A CASE USING GLUE!!!!! Nail & screw.
I've run into this about half a dozen times. It's a factory job. Never any screw or nail holes in the case. I suspect the attitude at the factory was that it's not built to be repaired. I always use the wood that broke away with the bellows whistle to line up the assembly, then drill a screw and nail hole with a very small drill, and attach it as it should have been done at the factory.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Bob, Randy, Chris, Bangster, Harold, thank you all for these great suggestions. I don't have a heat gun, so I may try heating a knife blade to melt the glue and if that doesn't work, I will just pry the bellows off. Thanks again!
Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleksi peikrishvili
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff