Not sure if this was a Watchmaker's desk - Any ideas

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by wilsonpaule, Nov 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wilsonpaule

wilsonpaule Registered User

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay, prior to getting a real watchmaker's desk which I now use, I found a very interesting desk that I used to work on my watches. I really do not think it was originally a watchmaker's desk. Does anyone have an idea? Maybe a penmaker's desk? The pictures below do give a good overall idea of the desk. zz3.jpg ZZ4.jpg zz5.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. kevin h

kevin h Registered User

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    cambridge md
    Country Flag:
    I have never seen a desk like that , my thoughts are jewelry sales , I am assuming the purple velour and glass display are original .I would like a bench like that , I think the height for a watch bench should be around 35-38 inches , just my thoughts , good luck

3. wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never seen one like it either Kevin, that is the reason for my question! It is a beautiful piece of furniture, the wood grain is fantastic and the workmanship on all of the joints is impeccable. it is not very high though, so it is not very good for working on watches. Plus, I do not want to scratch it by laying tools out on it or braking the glass!

4. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like a sales station -- similar to
    some contemporary designs used in shops
    selling prescription spectacles, frames etc.
    The locks are sufficient to secure inventory
    after business hours, but wouldn't do for
    more valuable materials.

The fan-like depression pattern in the velour
    does suggest that pens might have been a
    focus -- imagine a client sitting on the other
    side of it, while you (seated) take out items
    to be examined on the (padded?) surface to
    the left.

PatH likes this.
  5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    What is the black material on the desk top?? Leather? Slate??

To my eyes, definitely not a work bench. I think it is some sort of store display counter. Based upon the pattern in the velvet, I think that its use for pens is a good bet. Another thought would be artists supplies, e.g., paint brushes. Better pix of that area might be helpful.

RM

6. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    It's a Jewelers bench / desk

7. wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Black Material is Leather.

I am trying to find someone that can cut a key for the lock. I really like this piece of furniture and would like to use it to display my pocket watches.

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Old writing desks often had a leather inset. I still think your wonderful piece of furniture was for pens. The prospective buyer could try them out on the leather surface?

Frankly, it doesn't really matter what it was used for. It's very much the thing now to adaptively reuse old furniture for new or different purposes than for what they were originally intended. I love that! For example, I recently sold a late 19th early 20th century rack of shelves on wheels that came from one of the many old shoe factories in NE. It will now store towels in someone's remodeled bathroom.

Have fun and don't be too preoccupied with what it is. It's great and use it for what you want. Display watches? Perfect.

RM