Not sure if this is a Gustav Becker Clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Vextra, Aug 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vextra

Vextra Registered User

Aug 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone,

First off I would like to apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area. I'm new and still trying to figure the board out.

I have I believe a Gustav Becker clock in my possession. (Well that what one clock maker said.....) I haven't been able to locate the normal icon that is usually on these clocks. I inherited it from my mother, who received it from her mother.....

The story that I know is that it came from the Black Woods of Germany, and that its been in our family for years. Other than that, I have nothing. A clocker maker that came out to my mothers house and serviced it said that it was a GB clock when I called him to question how to ship the clock home with me.

If someone could take a look at the photos and let me know what type of clock it is, and its age I would appreciate it. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it--I would just like to know about it so when I pass it to my daughter she has info on it.

Also.....what side do I put the heavy weight on when I FACE the clock. I've been told the right, then the left and now I'm confused.

Thank you in advance for you help,
    Cat

2. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    It looks like a Mauthe movement to me.
    A picture of the chime rod mount might tell more.
    Unmarked movements are had to pin down.
    Tinker Dwight

3. Vextra

Vextra Registered User

Aug 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

Here at the additional pictures that I could find. On the top of the gong movement there is a stamp of AR 11 or AP 11. It isn't very clear.

Thanks,
    Cat

4. Vextra

Vextra Registered User

Aug 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

I also checked out the Mauthe clocks and can't find their stamp either.... When did clock makers start using the stamps, or could a newer clock not have a stamp? I've searched the internet looking for a clock that looks like it and haven't found one. Most have more ornate woodwork on them. This one is fairly plain except for the small design at the bottom. The brass on the clock does have some texture "hammered" into the center of the clock, on the weights, and on the pendulum. I'm not sure if that helps in anyway or not to ID it.

I think that its fairly old. I know my grand mother got it when she was in her 40's and kept it till 63 yrs old. Mom took it around 40 also and kept it till recently. She was 80 when she past. Interesting enough, I'm in my 40's too now that I moved it home with me. (LOL Maybe it's a sign when each oldest girl will inherit the clock!!)

Cat

5. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Looking at the design of the case I would estimate your clock dates from mid-1920s. I don't think it's a Becker, but there are Becker experts on here who may know better.

I have seen the special beat adjuster on the back before, can't remember for certain who made movement but I'm pretty sure it was Mauthe.

JTD

6. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cat, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your clock. I agree with Tinker and JTD that your clock appears to be an unmarked Mauthe. Based on the dial and case design it was likely made in the 1920s; these styles were popular with several makers for a number of years from not long before WWI until the end of the 1920s.

It is definitely not a Gustav Becker. The first clue is that the movement design bears no similarity to known GB movements of this type. Next is the lack of a GB logo or name stamp on the back of the movement. Many makers would sell unmarked movements to dealers and traders who would place them in cases and sell them under their own name or even a customer's name. GB sold complete movements to furniture makers and others who would assemble the final clock, however all of those would have some form of GB identification such as a GB serial number, GB anchor logo, and the like. Never say never, but so far in more than 20 years of searching no unmarked GB has been found.

Hopefully someone may be able to provide positive identification as to who made your movement, based on the photos of the gong and the movement that you have provided. It is a very attractive and interesting clock that should not remain anonymous.

7. Vextra

Vextra Registered User

Aug 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you everyone!!! This is more information than what I started with!! Like I said before, I don't care how much it is worth on the market. It's priceless due to the family history connected with it. The oldest girl gets the clock to pass along.

I can't wait to do more research on the clockmaker!! I'm hoping that I can pull enough "clock maker"history and make a file to go along with the clock each time it is passed down.

Thank you all again!!! :)
    Cat

8. Vextra

Vextra Registered User

Aug 9, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Oh one more thing!! What (if any) should I treat the wood with? Should I put a oil on the wood to keep it from drying out? If so what type or should I just leave it alone?

In the next few weeks I am going to have a clock repairman come out and clean her to keep her running. :)

Cat