not my usual..............

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
I collect calendar clocks and barometers but this clock caught my eye...........Nicholas Muller so it is earlier than Nicholas Muller and son,beautiful case and strikes on a bell.On the dial plate surround it has a patent date of 1853.I will look for a correct dial and replace the Swigart over paste.
It has Waterbury movement and I was wondering if this clock might have appeared in one of their catalogs.
Bruce

nick 1.jpg nick 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Salsagev

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I think that there might have been a figure on top of the case as well. I believe you can see the remnants of one foot?

RM

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
This looks like on titled the Vintner. Arlyn Rath's book, Nicholas Muller Horologist Extraordinaire, shows on pages 126 - 131, three clocks all using the same basic clock, but each with a different top. Per Rath, one is called Evangeline and is casting 108A; one is Bird's Nest and is casting 108B; the last is the Vintner and is casting 108V. Yours is closest to the Vintner, yet it lacks the top figure of a man next to the basket of grapes. I agree with RM on this. Rath mentions a patent date for the case of 1874.

Jim Shawn's article in the October 1985 Bulletin, Cast Clock Cases by Nicholas Muller and Sons, mentions only the Vintner and calls it casting 108B (see page 569). He gives no patent date for the Vintner but simply states A.P. (Applied Patent). He also mentions that casting 108A (no name given) was patented in 1874.

Where did you find the name Nicholas Muller, who died in 1873? Is there a casting number anywhere on the case (don't overlook any part)?

One other thing, are you certain about the 1853 patent date on the dial? What I see (and I may be misreading) looks somewhat like May 10, 1859, which would be S.E. Root's clock dial patent, US 23950.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Thanks for all the comments,I see where there may have been a figure, but even if missing, it does not detract from the overall display. The photo of the casting is a little blurry but discernible and if you look closely at the top of the dial surround you can make out the information above the twelve.
Another fun part is the wood back plate is secured with hand cut nails............
Bruce

nick 4.jpg nick 5.jpg

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Even though it has been observed that there may be a figure missing, i do not see any evidence of damage or a buff out..............I always associated a Vintner as a wine grower and processor not perhaps as some one in vegetables but on closer look that is a basket with grapes.
Regardless a fun clock and one a little different than the usual cases/clocks.
Bruce

Last edited:

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Steve and RM, you were both correct,but if the topper was lost or broken they did an excellent job of restorating the spot/position. Were these toppers an add on or part of the original casting, as this case appears to never had the topper?
Bruce

grape nick.jpg

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Another fun part is the wood back plate is secured with hand cut nails............
Bruce
The metal front may be secured to the sides of a wood box by screws. Be careful about prying open the back held on by nails.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Steven what does your warning entail?
Bruce

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
here is a photo of the back of the clock and the top of the case appears to overlap the "box"
Bruce

nick 6.jpg

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Thanks Steven,since this is my first venture with this style of case etc., I will follow every caution from those with experience.
Bruce

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Well the clock arrived today and once again the damage "gremlin" reared his ugly head and two pieces of the trim,the basket of grapes and the vine/leaf piece were snapped off.The packaging was excellent but shipping has become a nightmare and this just about finishes me on buying clocks that I cant pay cash and carry for and sadly there is a limited supply of sellers and venues out here on the "left" coast.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeffbloz
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller