Not an everyday Anglo-American?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Mar 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    There has been much about Anglo-American clocks on the MB and in the Bulletin.

I will summarize my very basic understanding of these clocks which may not be entirely correct.

The movements are of American manufacture. The cases were made in the UK. Wall and shelf clocks were produced.

The wall clock cases may be of wood or papier mache. The wooden clocks may be quite intricately inlaid. They also may have carved "ears". The papier mache cases were often gilt and paint decorated with MOP inlay.

The shelf clocks tended to be small. Burl veneer was often used for the cases and sometimes further embellished with brass fittings.

Overall rather decorative clocks.

I recently came across what I thought was an usual Anglo-American shelf clock. The case is Mauchline Ware. I have previously seen a clock in a Mauchline ware case just once before.

Here's the clock (pic taken with and without flash):

mauchline clock 2.JPG mauchline clock 3.JPG

The clock is only about 6 3/4 inches tall. It is of a light colored wood (sycamore) decorated with transfers of buildings from Rothesay, a city on the Isle of Bute in Western Scotland.

The lever movement is by Hubbell:

mauchline clock.JPG

Interestingly, it winds from the back rather than the front.

Mauchline Ware is a type of souvenir ware that was produced near the Scottish town of Machline. It was made during Victorian times until 1933 when the last factory burnt down. It came with a number of different types of decoration. For more, see the Mauchline Ware Collectors web site:

Mauchline Ware Collectors Club - Mauchline, Mauchlineware, Tartan, Tartanware, Fern, Fernware, Transfer, Transfer ware, Black lacquer, Black Lacquer Ware, Photographic Ware, Collectors’ Clubs, Antique, Souvenir, Snuff boxes, Tea Caddies, Treen

In my experience, this treen is most often found with transfers depicting historic structures, usually Scottish. However, it was imported all over the world, so transfers depicting historic buildings of local interest, including American, may also be found.

The objects created were small and ran the gamut from pin cushions to letter openers to stamp boxes to...the list just goes on and on with great variety in each category.

In the category of horological items, I have seen many watch stands/hutches. I have seen banks made to resemble little tall clocks. I have seen only one other actual clock. Here's a link to that example (the only one on the Mauchline Collectors web-site):

Mauchline Ware Collectors Club - Mauchline, Mauchlineware, Tartan, Tartanware, Fern, Fernware, Transfer, Transfer ware, Black lacquer, Black Lacquer Ware, Photographic Ware, Collectors’ Clubs, Antique, Souvenir, Snuff boxes, Tea Caddies, Treen

Same clock but with an important difference: it depicts the Philadelphia Centennial Fair and "Washington's House". That's Mount Vernon folks. And Buckingham Palace is the Queen's House. I know about this clock because I was the underbidder at the nuts price on eBay years ago.

Though the transfers don't depict American scenes, thought it a scarce enough item to acquire. Wasn't very expensive either. I would love to see the other examples of Mauchline ware clocks that might be out there.

I have picked up a few pieces of Mauchline ware. I seek transfers with images of New England interest.

mauchline ware 3.JPG

My favorite is the thermometer made to resemble the Bunker Hill Monument. Depicted on the sides of the base are the Old State House and Faneuil Hall. The letter opener depicts the Chain Bridge in nearby Newburyport.

RM

Raymond Rice and PatH like this.
  2. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing this clock, and the other Mauchline ware items. I keep an eye on Mauchline ware on ebay because I have a little collection of watch holders, and have never seen a clock. Hope others have examples of the clocks to share.

The two holders on the right have NH transfers. The second from the left is actually tartan ware, which is often included in mauchline ware discussions.

Figure 2 Mauchline.JPG

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for posting your wonderful watch holders!

I too keep watch (pun intended) for an example of interest & if not to pricey, try to buy it. My typical hunting grounds are shops & antique shoes.

You have a Tartan ware example (Mauchline Ware decorated with a Tartan plaid). I have included a little match holder with a colored floral transfer.

RM

PatH likes this.
  4. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    PatH likes this.
  5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1