Not a knurling tool.........

glacey

Donor
Dec 5, 2009
Hawaii
Country
Region
Hi All, before this arrived I thought that it was some sort of hand knurling tool. When it arrived I realized that it isn't! The knurled nuts are tight but can be loosened but that doesn't seem to be the way that, whatever this is, should work. The single knurled nut and long bolt lifts or closes the one knurled nut so that something could be gripped between it and the other, opposing knurled nut-but as mentioned the two opposing knurled nuts don't rotate when tightened into their positions so it grips as opposed to rotating and knurling.
There is an additional knurled nut on the back (if that is the back?) but that may have just been the only nut that fit the bolt-it may or may not be what should be there.
Because of the rings around the bottom holes maybe this tool was attached to a bigger tool? BTW, it is about 4" long and about 1 1/2 " wide.....I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
Mystery tool front maybe.jpg Mystery tool back maybe.jpg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi glacey,

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks
My vote is for a case back wrench; there are pins on one end of the knurled pieces and blades on the other, and I suspect that the tool originally had a selection of these inserts for different case patterns.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: measuretwice

glacey

Donor
Dec 5, 2009
Hawaii
Country
Region
Thanks Graham. Yes, that makes sense. I had been concentrating on the knurled nuts as the operating items without thinking that the ends are the operatives. Your mentioned inserts would be screwed in by gripping the knurled parts. So the two empty holes could also hold additional inserts to vary the pattern.
So I now need a knurling machine even more to replace the modern nut! :)
Thanks again
George

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatherted