North Pickenham (Norfolk UK) church clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by M Saxon, Oct 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. M Saxon

M Saxon Registered User

Mar 5, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    North Pickenham, Norfolk, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was asked the other day if I could "have a look" at our village's church clock. Some of the locals had heard I was into clock repair and told the church warden. I read up all I could about tower clocks and decided to take the plunge.
    Straight away I could see that the clock has been converted to electric winding and found the strike side had "over wound" itself and had jammed up. I freed this up and the self winder kicked in. I then got the chimes back into synchronization and set the correct time.
    Today after three weeks I noticed it was running a bit fast (in fact I was advised by a villager) so ventured up the tower again this time armed with my camera. I adjusted the pendulum a couple of turns on the regulating nut and will no doubt have to go back and fine tune it!
    I have also been asked to write a small piece for the village magazine about the clock so am really looking for anything anyone can tell me about it. As you can see, I guess it is fairly typical of what is found in small rural churches here in the UK. The inscription on the great wheel appears to indicate it was made by a Norfolk clock maker as it is engraved R. ULPH and has a date of 1819. The church bell has a date of 1845 which is sort of consistent with the date the church was re-built .

NORTH PICKENHAM, THE STREET Church of St. Andrew

Parish church. Largely rebuilt 1863 by D. Male, but retaining much of earlier west tower and north transept.

1819.jpg Anchor-and-adjuster.jpg Bell-insciption.jpg Bell-overview.jpg close.jpg close-to.jpg Front.jpg Overview.jpg R-ULPH.jpg Tower-clock.jpg