Norris North, Two Examples.

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Ralph, Apr 4, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here are a couple of Norris North's for your review..

One is a miniature column and cornice. The other is a Pillar & Scroll, that is a little smaller than a standard P&S.

Ralph

Attached Files:

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Nice clocks.

The first clock you post is in fact shown in Lanzo and Brown's Norris North and His Contemporary Torrington Clock Makers, page29, figures 14-14B. By the way, this is a very nice book for anyone with any interest in Torrington clocks.

Just like to point out that though now a bit dark, the columns appear to be birdseye? Before the finish had a chance to age as it will, probably a bit more contrast with the mahogany veneer used for the case. This was not an unusual use of contrasting woods in this period. For example, I have a mahogany tabernacle mirror with strongly figured tiger maple turned 1/2 columns.

Thanks for posting them.

A comment not a criticism. Especially for less common clocks like this, I would hope folks could post more than pictures, but provide a bit of information (short and sweet, not a thesis) as well as where the reader could find more information on their own. Would make the MB a much better resource and experience, in my opinion.

RM