Non-Magnetic Watch Co. Odd Mvnt.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by D.P., Sep 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D.P.

D.P. Registered User

Aug 23, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone!

My first time posting to the watch section on this forum. This watch is a little bit of a mystery to me, so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone could tell me more about it.

My father recently passed and I found this amongst his things while cleaning out his apartment.

It says Non-Magnetic Watch Co of America with "Made for F. A. Hubbard Springfield Mass" on the movement and appears to be about 16s. During a forum search I saw a lot of examples but most had movements different from mine. What type of movement would mine have?

I'm not sure which forum this question should be posted to, seeing as it might not be completely of American make like the others, so if it's in the wrong spot I apologize.

IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1290.JPG

2. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    D.P. and musicguy like this.
  3. D.P.

D.P. Registered User

Aug 23, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the reply. I'll read over the link you posted.

The Serial Number on the Movement is 7943.

4. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    7943 is within the range of serial numbers C.H. Meylan used. I haven't seen a C.H.Meylan with that serial number before. I have seen Nonmagnetic Watch Co,. movements I attribute to Meylan before, most within serial number spitting distance of your movement, such as 8112.

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  5. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Ed Ueberall and I have the following nearby serial numbers listed in our data base of surviving examples of railroad watches and other interesting (to us) watches. All are 16-size:

Ser No - Jwls - Cs Style - Comments

7,532 - 16+ - HC Mvt - LS, Adj (Pillar Plate Near Bal), WhpSpg Reg, Wolf's Tooth Wdg, Swiss Stem, Mvt "Paillard's Patent Non-Magnetic Balance & Spring - Non-Magnetic Watch Co. of America", Radial Dial "Non-Magnetic Watch Co. of America"

7,533 - 32? - HB&B - Mic Reg, Esc & Pallet cap jeweled, seller says H Capt, Case #1257

7,596 - 18 - HC - LS, Adj, WhpSpg Reg, Wolf Teeth, Brg Mvt, Dueber Case

7,817 - 15 - HC - LS, Adj, Whip Mic Reg, Nickel HC Mvt, 2F Brg, Mvt "L Roberts" Snap-on Dial " L Roberts Bristol Conn"

7,984 - 18 - HC Mvt - Adj, Mvt "Non-Magnetic Watch Co. of America Paillard's Patent Balance and Spring" Mvt looks like C H Meylan, 2F Cent Brg., Mvt & Dial "T C Tanke Buffalo N Y"

8,032 - 18/9 - OF Mvt - Adj, Mvt "Non-Magnetic Watch Co. of America Paillard's Patent Balance and Spring" Mvt looks like C H Meylan.

8,077 - 20 - SB&B - LS, Adj, Mic Reg, Gold Esc Whl, D "Tilden, Thurber & Co.", M "Tilden, Thurber & Co Providence R.I.", Fahys Case Eng "B.L.E" #6789806

As always, the data listed is subject to possible errors of reporting or recording.

D.P. and Christopher Burris like this.
  6. D.P.

D.P. Registered User

Aug 23, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the information! Very helpful.

To give a background on the watch, supposedly my Great grandfather ran a Men's clothing store out of either Medicin Hat or Alberta Canada. He also worked for the Canadian Pacific and some other railroad at another point. I ended up acquiring two railroad grade watches many years ago and heard about a third watch, but never saw it till now. I guess my Dad found it and kept it. All three are really nice watches, and I'm lucky to have them.

viclip likes this.