Non Advertising Baird Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by clocks4u, May 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This Baird is a non advertising clock. Is this the only model that they made without advertising on it? Also, doing a quick online search, it's referred to as a figure eight. Does anyone know if they gave it a model name? I own 100s of clock books. Maltz's Baird Advertising Clocks isn't one of them yet.... Thank you, Chris

baird1a.jpg

2. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice find Chris!

There are a couple of non-advertising models. I believe RM had a nice one with a solid bottom door that he posted (last year?). I don't have Jerry's book here but if memory serves he has two non-advertising clocks in it. I'll have to check.

If you're interested in a copy of the book PM me.

Bob

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Agreed. That is a nice find.

In "Baird Advertising Clocks" by Jerry Maltz, pages 146-7 and figure 74. A virtually identical clock to yours is shown with dimensions. It is basically a standard sized (30 1/2 inches long) "figure 8" with an oculus in the door and no advertising. He dates it to around 1892.

In the same reference, pages 144-5 and figure 73, what Maltz calls a miniature @ 26 inches long is shown. It is also a figure 8 but with a solid door.

See this posting:

Give 'em the Baird!!

Therein I posted yet another non-advertising standard sized Baird. The case of mine is grained to resemble oak (I think the company actually called it "maple"). Here's a teaser:

img_5837-jpg.jpg

Schiff and Schiff in "Edward Payson Baird: Inventor, Industrialist, Entrepreneur" show a clock just like mine on page 38, figures 48 and 49 That clock has the added embellishment of a painted rustic scene on the lower door and vine and leaf painted decoration on the bezel.

The Schiffs also show non-advertising Bairds like those in Jerry's book on page 21, figure 24 and page 22, figure, 25. They also illustrate a non-advertising one that is more like a school house clock on page 23, figure 23.

Another good reference is this Bulletin article by Jerry Maltz (the best benefit of your membership is access to the Bulletin):

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/2000/articles/2008/375/375_418WEB.pdf

He also shows another example of the non-advertising school house type Baird on the last page.

So, yes, Baird made non-advertising clocks. I think they are less common than the advertising ones. They made a few different models including a "miniature". I suspect they weren't very successful so few models and few around.

And yes, do get a copy of Jerry Maltz's book. It's become the standard reference on these clocks.

Again, nice find!

RM

PatH likes this.
  4. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the quick replies. I did a forum search and there is quite a bit of info on Baird's in general. I did see RMs post of the non advertising Baird's. I will also read Jerry's Bulletin article that was linked.....I understand these cases can be rather fragile. This one looks to have original finish but covered with surface dirt/dust. Any recommendations for safely cleaning off the crud while not hurting the finish? Thanks again, Chris

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I say leave it.

RM

RAK and clocks4u like this.
  6. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I read Jerry's article. The non advertiser he showed had the model name Plymouth. Does anyone know if the figure 8 was given a model name too?

7. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris,

I believe Jerry's book mentions that the name was "Saranac" for this model, named after the river that ran past the factory.

Regards,

Bob

clocks4u likes this.
  8. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was able to look at a friends copy of Jerry's book today. The Saranac is pictured as figure 74. Not sure if it's okay to post a image of the info page and the clock on here or not. I haven't pulled the dial on it yet to see the movement. It does have a nice Plattsburgh label on inside backboard.

9. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes, that's the label is should have. Probably will find a ST movement.

Post pix of both if you're so inclined.

Nice clock.

RM

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree this case shouldn't be aggressively cleaned, but from what I can see on the photo, it looks just plain dirty. I think carefully cleaning it with a clock case cleaner would improve this clock immensely. 'Curator Clock Case Restorer', which Timesavers sell, is very good and won't remove the patina or original finish.

That's what I think anyway, others will surely have their own thoughts.

JTD

11. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Not so sure. These cases are papier mache, not wood.

Patina I see very typical for these cases.

Leave it be.

RM

12. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I agree with RM, paper Mache is it's own animal and once the material starts to delaminate/disintegrate your doomed...............soft brush, and live with the beauty that is history.
    Bruce

13. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Ah! I didn't know that, not being very familiar with American clocks, I thought it was wood. If the case is papier mache, then I agree 100%, leave it as it is or just soft brush, as Bruce suggests.

I shouldn't have opened my mouth in this case! My apologies. (But I stand by what I said, had it been wood!)

JTD

14. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    The dumbest question is the one not asked and then failure ensues ! :))

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    No worries and you're most welcome to open you're mouth any time!

RM

16. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are some more pictures of the Baird. You can see what I mean about how dirty the case is. The center wood portion should be able to be gently cleaned. I wish there was something I could do with the bezels. You can see it's just years of caked on dirt and dust. I'm not sure the dial has been off this clock, at least in a long time. The pin holding the hands on is square instead of round. It just has the appearance of an untouched clock.

baird1c.jpg baird1b.jpg baird1d.jpg baird1e.jpg baird1g.jpg baird1h.jpg baird1f.jpg baird1i.jpg baird1j.jpg baird1k.jpg baird1l.jpg

17. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Very nice well preserved clock I would be thrilled to own.

The suggestion to use a soft brush to gently remove dust is a good one. I've used a decent quality soft larger artist's brush for such purposes.

Resist temptation.

temptation.jpg

It otherwise needs nothing. That's just how these cases sometimes age.

RM

18. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    LOL. I'm sure that is good advise. Thanks!