Nomenclature

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Bruce Barnes, Apr 1, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Very interesting site.......my question is, when and why were wooden movements given numerical designators.e.g. 1.234.6? Was this done originally by the manufacturers or are these numerical designations a product of a contemporary need to catalog?
    What parts of the movement are key to the numerical id and are variances on the movement noted as part of the total number designation?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The numbering is a modern convention designed to identify and classify variations of different wood movements and, to the extent possible, attribute them to various makers. Snowden taylor has done a great deal of work to establish these clasifications. This website has a bit of information; I am not sure how up to date it now is. The website mentions NAWCC Bulletin # 208. That issue came in two parts, of which Part I is devoted to Snowden Taylor's work.

I'm hoping someone will bring me and others up to date if I am off-base here.

3. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,

The October 1980 NAWCC Bulletin contains a lengthy article by Snowden Taylor identifying Terry-type wood movements by makers and users. The article has been updated several times since. The classifications are Dr. Taylor's.

4. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The numerical designations are from Snowden Taylor's authoritative movement identification charts, first published in the October 1980 Bulletin, Number 208, Part 1. This is of course available at the NAWCC website, for members. In addition, it has been posted online, with Dr. Taylor's permission, and we have a link to it on the Cog Counter's website (which is a work in progress)

http://cogcounters.org/

Look for a link entitled "Clocks are us- Wood movement ID"

Wood shelf clock movements are catalogued according to certain features, such as the shape of the verge button, the shape of the tip of the escape wheel bridge (most are squared off, Seth Thomas and a few others rounded them), the presence of rings around certain pivot holes, etc. It is very easy to use, and is a great tool for determining whether a clock you are considering buying contains the correct movement.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Amazing these three replies in a short period of time with consistent information. This link, accessible alas only to NAWCC members, leads to the Table of Contents of number 208, Part I (I hope).

6. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like we were all helpfully typing away at the same time.

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    As usual from this message board GREAT information.
    I know of the id of Terry movements but were there other studies done on other makers,e.g., Kirke,Jerome, et al, or was this study exclusively for Terry movemants.
    I know some made their own movements,copied Terry, and/or also bought from him.
    Thanks again,
    Bruce

8. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The idenification is for Terry-type movements, which were made by many different makers. Other styles, like "groaners" are not included.

9. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Jeremy, is their a sub-category,numerically id'd, for other makers who"copied" the Terry Type movement and that carry there specific nomenclature such as the examples I listed?
    Bruce

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes, this was done for the Jerome type 30 hour brass movements.

For members, see:

http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/nawcc-bulletin/past-issues-/457?task=view

RM

11. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks RM,I was orienting my query regarding wooden movements made by other makers.
    I have a movement that has no id and one purportedly made by Charles Kirke.
    Bruce

12. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, most known makers are covered, not just Terry and family. Towards the back of the Bulletin there is even a section covering movements from the Leavenworth and Hopkins & Alfred shops, even though they are not really "Terry-like".

13. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce, if you post a few pictures of the movement, perhaps it can be identified.