Mechanical WW Nomenclature question

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Rob P., Oct 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On some Swiss movements there are these gizmo's that hold the dial feet in the plate. NOT dial screws, these are "posts" with a screw slot on the top and a cam at the bottom next to the plate. Turn the post and the cam pushes against the dial foot until it jams against the side of the dial foot hole.

What the heck are these thingies called?

And, are they available as replacement parts or do I have to custom make them? (I'm missing one and the other one is busted at the screw slot.)

2. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    #2 Skutt50, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Somewhere I saw them refered to as "Swiss post style dial screws".

I have not seen them sold as new, only old screws taken from scrapped movements......

I save them when scrapping old movements but there are many sizes.... both length, threads, thickness and also the size of the "locking lip". Sometimes I can find a replacement in my stach when needed but equally often I don't find one. They are possible to make but it takes some time and its seldom the movement is worth it!

3. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Scutt.

The movement is a vintage 9 1/2 ligne Rolex movement that I'd like to recase eventually. I paid next to nothing for it. It's DIRTY! but it has a good balance and came complete with the original well faded dial. (And bad dial posts)

9.5 ligne Rolex movement.jpg

I've looked through Dr. Ranfft's site and can't seem to find a match for it but it's clearly signed on both plates. My google-fu stinks so help identifying it would be appreciated..