No Electricity and 1 Clock

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
If all electricity to the world was disrupted/discontinued for a period of a year (no generators either), what clock from your collection would you rely on to keep accurate time?

My vote from my collection would be a Peerless chiming bracket clock, due to the fact that the "Chime/Silence" subdial completely removes any interaction or load between the time train and the chime & strike trains, meaning that it's more accurate. Solid pinions and a nice deadbeat adjustable pallet anchor escapement. I would obviously put any weight or fusee clock above it in terms of maintaining accuracy (since springs have a power curve), but it's an extremely good timekeeper for a chiming clock.

What would you choose?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
both of my welch spring and company no. 2s (with seconds beating pendulums) are within seconds week to week... i think the wood pendulum rods keep them more consistent than even my jewelers regulators. :)

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Everything mechanical would eventually fall out of accuracy with enough temperature fluctuations.
No fusees or weights will save anything in the end, not even plates thick enough to smash a Hermle.

As uninspired it would seem, the nearest Quartz clock would probably have to be relied upon for time.
One battery change per year and 12 fresh batteries means a year of no electricity would not be timeless.

As far as mechanical clocks go, I'd probably just pick the least accurate clock running and devise a new standard of timekeeping.
After all: time is relevant. :Party:

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i'm revising my response to: my welch spring and co. regulators + a supply of AA batteries and a couple of quartz movements. :)

Reactions: chimeclockfan

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
A battery alarm clock has been running non stop for over 10 years, so that’s my pick.

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
my welch spring and co. regulators + a supply of AA batteries and
Wait a minute! Didn't he say:
If all electricity to the world was disrupted/discontinued for a period of a year (no generators either)
That means no batteries too, doesn't it? That pretty much leaves the sun dial. At least that's accurate on a good day, albeit not a lot of resolution. It can also tell you the date so you will know when the year is up. Plus, you don't need to wind it up.

Last edited:

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Power outages haven't affected the residential Quartz timepieces over here.
Thought about the sundials but what about a moondial? One that runs on moonlight.
Cloudy weather? Maybe one of our best and brightest innovators will invent a clouddial! :nutjob:

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
A decent quartz clock with a battery recharged by a solar panel. Or my deadbeat London longcase with mercury compensated pendulum. My mother ran that clock for 60 years without it receiving any servicing whatsoever. Not a great idea but it kept time to within a few seconds a month until it finally ground to a halt. All fully overhauled now of course and will outlive me.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
That means no batteries too, doesn't it? That pretty much leaves the sun dial. At least that's accurate on a good day, albeit not a lot of resolution. It can also tell you the date so you will know when the year is up. Plus, you don't need to wind it up.
wait... batteries are electrical?!? :)

ok... my regulators and a solar powered quartz movement... unless the force field kills ALL electricity... in which case i don't think anyone will worry whether i'm late or on time...

Reactions: chimeclockfan

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
If there was no electricity, but only for a year, the least of my concerns would be keeping accurate time... I'd stick with my longcase clock for rough time, and enjoy the fact that I have a good excuse for being late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schatznut

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
hey... i just remembered... all i have to do is finish the escapement on the c. b. reeve year long clock and i'd be covered! :)

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Any one of my three favourite Vienna regulators would do. They all run within five seconds a month. So given the worse I would end up would be plus or minus one minute per year, I'd call that close enough. And as to Quartz timepieces, I've replaced enough movements in those to know I wouldn't bet my life on one of them.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I've finally devised my prototype clouddial. Runs on cloud exposure and lubricates with rainwater.
More accurate than any fusee, Vienna, Quartz, or even Big Ben's captive tower clock. Yes, this will save us all.

clouddial.jpg

Reactions: Salsagev

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Errible-tay with the Atin-lay. :Party:

I like sundials but there isn't much to tock about with them. Made a tiny one when I was young out of a tracing stencil and card sheet.
It actually worked when it was sunny outside. Wouldn't mind doing a better one but it would need carved or relief detailing.
Printer ink doesn't bode well in sunlight.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
What is the OP intent?
To ask what we would do if it was Armageddon?
I thought it was an alternative way of posing a query of what is an accurate clock you have.

In Feb. 2014 we had an ice storm that knocked out our electricity for 3 days. It was 0 degrees Fahrenheit at night but I got it to 50 degrees inside with a small generator. We are on a well so no running water either. But the James Muirhead bracket clock was still keeping good time.

Last edited:

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
It would not matter as time would be the least of my worries. Think about the larger ramification of no electricity: no ATMs, no Internet, no or little food, your electric car is worthless, your automatic garage door doesn't open, no ultrasonic, no lathe or other electric driven tools, etc.

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Wait a minute! Didn't he say:

I live near Syracuse, NY. A sundial would be worthless about 80% of our days....

If ALL electricity was disrupted, including batteries, and there was no current anywhere, I'd cease to be alive (along with everyone else). Just for clarity, I'm not referring to externally produced energy..our hearts are governed by electrical impulses.

My Schatz 1000-day is one of my more accurate clocks...would probably go with that one

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A cheap Casio will run for up to 7 years with no attention.

Course you would probably starve to death in a few weeks as there would be no food production, or refrigeration.

Willie X

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
A cheap Casio will run for up to 7 years with no attention.

Course you would probably starve to death in a few weeks as there would be no food production, or refrigeration.

Willie X
I was going to choose the "cheap watch" option, too, if batteries were allowed. My wife and I would be just fine and wouldn't starve to death...PLENTY of "food" and "fuel" in the woods, streams, and fields around our house...and the "food" won't care what time it is... ;)

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
You could always try eating a Ridgeway during times of desperation. I hear they're full of fiber and carbohydrates. :Party:

Reactions: MuseChaser

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Keep in mind, the ones that have food won't have it for long because marauders will take their food away, something like in the movie 'Road Warriors'. I will have my trusty Casio though (OT). Maybe I can trade it for a can of soup? Willie X

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
People will be fine if they don’t overreact like this past pandemic.

If something happens where all electricity disappears, people should get much smarter.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
People will be fine if they don’t overreact like this past pandemic.

If something happens where all electricity disappears, people should get much smarter.
...but they wouldn't. They'd only get more desperate. I was in a local hardware store when the power went out. I went to the checkout with my items and the cashier announced, "I can't help you - the electricity is out." I said, "I have cash. Don't you have a paper bag and a pencil?" She had no idea what I was suggesting. We could have gotten the prices from the shelf tags. Addition? Manual calculation of change? Horrors! Hardware stores operated that way for eons, right up until the advent of the fully-automated, computerized, whiz-bang cash register, and people managed to muddle through. Maybe they were smarter then.

• Love
Reactions: MuseChaser

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Sal's,

"people should get much smarter" , that statement is going to take a lot of explaining ! :)

Or, as I usually say, that's gonna take a lot of "splanin".

Willie X

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
How good is your Latn?
Well I tried, but I suspect Google translate failed me towards the end.

My dial on the clouds, it works…

but there is a joke!

Delay predicted by comparison with a…

Fatty chicken sandwich!

Michael

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Not the original text I punched into the Google, but I like it better because it makes even less sense.
Hopefully no one put it on a tattoo. Hah!

Reactions: Micam100

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Look up on the Google machine what no ragrets mean!

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Humor is always funnier once it's explained, I guess. Usually, being too subtle isn't one of my shortcomings. I regert not being more oblivious.

Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
...but they wouldn't. They'd only get more desperate. I was in a local hardware store when the power went out. I went to the checkout with my items and the cashier announced, "I can't help you - the electricity is out." I said, "I have cash. Don't you have a paper bag and a pencil?" She had no idea what I was suggesting. We could have gotten the prices from the shelf tags. Addition? Manual calculation of change? Horrors! Hardware stores operated that way for eons, right up until the advent of the fully-automated, computerized, whiz-bang cash register, and people managed to muddle through. Maybe they were smarter then.
People cannot be that dumb with proper education and common sense. I think people would get smarter because they will soon find out that running around like idiots with gold toilet paper is not going to help. People only panicked only because the (dramatizing and provoking portrayal) media. People needed to poop more I guess. Although it is highly highly unlikely that electricity would disappear because that would be removing any truth to how pretty much everything works when the earth was formed. So it pretty much would end our existence as is. People would need to get better at surviving with the resources around you. I guess maybe not smarter in terms of books but street smart. But remember again that electricity is around us not just in man made stuff but natural processes. Yes, I think they would get smarter if it was like no power nationwide for a year. Weather would take many lives as is. But electricity cannot disappear.

Cheezhead

Dec 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Country
Region
According to a book entitled "A Canticle for Leibowitz" from 1959 and a related article posted on Wiki, technology wiped out due to a nuclear war will be reinvented. No worries; electricity will be back.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
[
According to a book entitled "A Canticle for Leibowitz" from 1959 and a related article posted on Wiki, technology wiped out due to a nuclear war will be reinvented. No worries; electricity will be back.
Electricity and weather are congruent. Think lightning. It was probably a lightning bolt striking the primordial ooze that jump-started the organism that ultimately evolved into the species of Man. The grid may fail but electricity will endure. We may get blown out of our socks but electricity ain't going anywhere. Now if we can just figure out how to make clocks work from the charge in Leyden jars...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apollodog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller